Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three HIIT Workouts A Week? page 2

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I get so confused with this aspect of exercise. When to do HIIT, what to do, how long...AGH! Is there a primer or guide for this stuff, or general guidelines? For example, in response to tfarny, why in God's name wouldn't you do HIIT on a treadmill?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    A sprint is your classic HIIT workout, and you just can't get that level of all-out crazy work on a treadmill safely. Though I suppose if you can, you should really ease into things? I also just don't see any reason anyone would want to be on a treadmill or elliptical in summertime.

An example mini-workout, crossfit-style, I did AFTER weight training last week: 10 box jumps and 15 kettlebell swings, 5 rounds for time. Took me about 6 minutes and I spent a minute on the floor afterward. I might add 10 pushups to that sequence next time, that would stretch it to about 10 minutes. Another one I like is a 2k row as fast as possible on the C2 rower.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    some one posted the following:
    The Complete Guide to Interval Training [Infographic] | Greatist

it breaks down visually the different types of sprinting/high intensity training...

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    A sprint is your classic HIIT workout, and you just can't get that level of all-out crazy work on a treadmill safely. Though I suppose if you can, you should really ease into things? I also just don't see any reason anyone would want to be on a treadmill or elliptical in summertime.

An example mini-workout, crossfit-style, I did AFTER weight training last week: 10 box jumps and 15 kettlebell swings, 5 rounds for time. Took me about 6 minutes and I spent a minute on the floor afterward. I might add 10 pushups to that sequence next time, that would stretch it to about 10 minutes. Another one I like is a 2k row as fast as possible on the C2 rower.
    Don't forget that it's relative. For some of us those workouts you list are torture or death, not HIIT.
    For me,right now, a run not far past a jog is a sprint workload.
    Somebody posted a HIIT for cardiac recovery study where the work interval was walking uphill on a treadmill at 3mph.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    Don't forget that it's relative. For some of us those workouts you list are torture or death, not HIIT.
    For me,right now, a run not far past a jog is a sprint workload.
    Somebody posted a HIIT for cardiac recovery study where the work interval was walking uphill on a treadmill at 3mph.
    Unfortunately you point is often overlooked. For some people a 45 second walk will put them over the top because they are so badly out of shape. For them that was HIIT. However if 2 days later they walk 50 seconds... they are now on the track to success because they progressively increased the workout.

It is that simple.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    While I usually agree with TFarny, I can't here. I usually do my HIIT on a treadmill. Five minute warmup. 10 intervals of one minute alternating running at a pace much faster than my normal slow pace (figure I run a 10 minute mile normally, I ramp it up to a 6 minute mile pace). Do that for one minute, next minute is walking. 10 of those for 20 minutes, then cool down. I have lots of reasons for using a treadmill. This is HIIT. Sprinting isn't the only form of HIIT and a study I saw recently showed that even this more moderate form of HIIT has nearly the same benefits as the more all-out form of HIIT advocated by some.

If you'd prefer, call this somewhat high intensity interval training, or SHIIT.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    lol

No, the hot new thing is Total Intensity Training

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    While I usually agree with TFarny, I can't here. I usually do my HIIT on a treadmill. Five minute warmup. 10 intervals of one minute alternating running at a pace much faster than my normal slow pace (figure I run a 10 minute mile normally, I ramp it up to a 6 minute mile pace). Do that for one minute, next minute is walking. 10 of those for 20 minutes, then cool down. I have lots of reasons for using a treadmill. This is HIIT. Sprinting isn't the only form of HIIT and a study I saw recently showed that even this more moderate form of HIIT has nearly the same benefits as the more all-out form of HIIT advocated by some.

If you'd prefer, call this somewhat high intensity interval training, or SHIIT.
    I'm kicking you out of the Tfarny Always-Agree-ers Club right now. What's the advantage of a treadmill over a patch of grass for that protocol?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Tfarny: The advantage of the t-mill is that it's in my house, where my kids are, and I do my conditioning in the evenings when the wife is often out. As the kids are under the age where they can be left alone without being taken away by the state, I prefer to train in my house where they are.

And my backyard is too small for me to run on full speed without going through my fence, which would hurt.

Also, I live in DC where it's currently 99 degrees with 1500% humidity in the evenings.

Thus, the treadmill. My point being also that interval training can be pretty intense without it being "I can't move after". The study I'm referencing showed it had about 80-90% of the benefits of the all-out elite athlete kind of training, which is more than sufficient for me. I'll stick with my SHIIT.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cool, so you use a treadmill to avoid your children being taken away, and 15000% humidity, not because it's an ideal way to train. I'll let you back in the club now! Enjoy your SHIIT workout. I'm going to do my "All Sprinting Secondarily Holistic O2 Living Energy workout" tomorrow, I can't wait.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast