Thread: Help from anyone about low blood sugar, etc. Primal for 6+ months already.. page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

Help from anyone about low blood sugar, etc. Primal for 6+ months already..

Primal Fuel
    Okay so I have been very primal for about a month+ (no cheating), which includes fruit for me (low to mod-low GI only) and NO dairy, no potatoes/tubers/high GI squash, along with the regular things recommended by MDA. I have been primal with some cheating w/sugar on weekends (mostly dark chocolate) for about 5 months prior to this month. I went off dairy about 3 months ago due to stomach upset (I *MAY* have gluten intolerance/IBS/leaky gut or something like that that caused me to stumble onto primal in the first place). The change this month+ was that I went totally off sugar, no cheating.

I also started experimenting with magnesium citrate for the last of my lingering anxiety symptoms that were still left after converting to primal (which really, really helped). I took it slow as I had some weird symptoms at first from it, then upped dosage and was doing fine, wonderful even. Until all of a sudden about 1.5 weeks ago I started to feel "weird." Very foggy, anxious again, not all there, weak, no energy, etc. Part of the problem was that I think I was on too much meds for anxiety since I wasn't having many syptoms compared to in the past. Another problem was that I think I had very low blood sugar possibly.

So I stopped the magnesium, stopped 1/2 of anxiety meds (yes, doctor's approval/support/therapy), and ate fruit periodically throughout the day. That seemed to spike my blood sugar back to normal or even hyperactive levels. The very low blood sugar lasted about 4 days, then somewhat better now (still less energy then normal, feeling tired, anxiety/depression).

So, in short, what in the hell is going on? Could I suddenly be hypogylcemic (is that the word?)? Why am I having low blood sugar? What is going on with the magnesium, maybe I should have upped the dosage instead of dropping it (I was only taking 1 rounded tsp of Natural Calm)?

FYI I also take a multivitamin, probiotics, D3 (1800 mg), high dose folic acid, kelp (for iodine), fish oil, very low dose of SSRI antidepressant, 600 mg SAM-E supplement (doctor approved, taking for years), 100mg 5-HTP (started recently when dropped the 1/2 anxiety meds), and 2000 mg of wild alaskan salmon oil.

I just can't find any possible triggers for this episode other than fooling around with magnesium and am so frustrated by this setback.....no new stress, nothing.

And thanks for everyone's help. I am very grateful for the support here whenever I am having a tough time with my primal conversion or other problems. This site is a lifesaver!
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    What is your blood sugar? What was it before? What symptoms are you having?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    I'd get a glucose monitor and check your sugars. That way you can know definatively if that is the cause.

My symptoms of low blood sugar are not exactly as you describe, but it varies...

For me, the most pronounced symptom is a panicked desire to eat. I mean... maybe I feel foggy, and tired and what not... but these feelings are eclipsed by the urge to eat sugar.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    You need to test to know. Do you have a meter? Are you on any diabetes medicines? (remaining on them after normalizing fasting blood sugar can mess with you).

I did have the urge to eat often (like every 2 hours), but not for sugar. Ate a peach & blackberries and got so hyper it wasn't even funny. Depression went away, anxiety lingered. Until a couple hours later. This lasted about 2 days, then got better slowly, but it is still with me (the urge to eat often, low energy, depression, & thats all). At least that has calmed down a little now, not as urgent as it was.

I guess I could get a glucose monitor.....I wouldn't even know what a normal range was? Is it even possible to get blood sugar problems after 6+ months of very little to no sugar? Seems suspect.....but how would I know.

Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    You need to test to know. Do you have a meter? Are you on any diabetes medicines? (remaining on them after normalizing fasting blood sugar can mess with you).
    No I have never had any kind of diabetic issue, other than needing to eat frequently on the ol' SAD and then I would get symptoms like what Waskydiver is describing-shaking, panicked urge to eat, etc. Was tested when pregnant, sometimes with routine bloodwork I am sure, but nothing ever showed up.

I wonder if this would be improved by the leptin resistance experiment? Maybe that would resolve the issues. Trying to keep up with that thread, but its a lot of reading.,...
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-05-2011 at 02:58 PM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    You sound like someone with anxiety more than like some e with hypoglycemia to me, though you would need a meter to know for sure.

For me, eating very low carb and not eating enough calories stimulates anxiety... I call it carb panic. To be more scientific, it can stimulate your cortisol levels as your body prepares to deal with a starvation emergency. You may want to start by plugging your food into a calculator (such as sparkpeople.com) to see where you are at. Then you might want to add some fats to increase your total calories, if they turn out to be too low.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    You sound like someone with anxiety more than like some e with hypoglycemia to me, though you would need a meter to know for sure.

For me, eating very low carb and not eating enough calories stimulates anxiety... I call it carb panic. To be more scientific, it can stimulate your cortisol levels as your body prepares to deal with a starvation emergency. You may want to start by plugging your food into a calculator (such as sparkpeople.com) to see where you are at. Then you might want to add some fats to increase your total calories, if they turn out to be too low.
    Well, like I said I do have a history of anxiety, but it was very well controlled to non-existant until about 1.5 weeks ago. But, I am always open to the possibility that I am crazy Getting off so much meds has helped, instead of hurt. But the carb anxiety rings true for me sometimes too! And suspiciously I tried my first IF experience just before all this wierdness happened. I wonder if that plays into things at all???? It was such a short fast though that I am not sure that would effect anything. I only had a light breakfast and skipped lunch.

I do tend to eat about 60% (or more) fat every day, and enough calories when in "normal mode" to drop the last few pounds that I need to.....but not fast, at a very slow pace.
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-05-2011 at 03:21 PM.