Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Moon Cycling page 5

Isis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've read somewhere that doctors/surgeons prefer to not operate when its a full moon, as the patient will have more blood loss. Not sure how many doctors may still have this superstition today.
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post

Seeds and Oils: from New Moon to Full Moon take 1 T. of sunflower seeds daily and 1 T. of cod-liver oil daily. From Full Moon to New Moon take 1 T. pumpkin seeds and 2 caps Borage Oil daily. If you normally take cod-liver oil daily, continue it during the full to new moon stage as well. Optional, but helpful if it agrees with you, is to also take 1 T. of freshly ground flax seeds all month long.
    Paleomom, what are your thoughts on the Omega 6 content in the Borage oil? Could adding extra for those two weeks be detrimental? I already supplement with fish oils to try and offset my high meat consumption (that is not always grassfed sources). I have a history of inflammation, muscle tension, and heavy periods with painful cramping. No PCOS, probably estrogen dominance....

I guess at this point I am willing to do anything to get things more regulated on multiple levels. I have been in a dark room for over a year, I have been primal/paleo for several years, and while things are SLIGHTLY better, they are still not acceptable. Actually, some things have gotten worse in that now I have slight cramping almost all month (which I am still debating on pursuing more diagnostic work ups.....already had an ultrasound with zero findings a few months ago). I am waiting for my acupuncturist to return from pregnancy leave as she is known in the state for regulating cycles and infertility treatment......but if I had an alternative and lower cost option I would be thrilled.

Mica is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    Paleomom, what are your thoughts on the Omega 6 content in the Borage oil? Could adding extra for those two weeks be detrimental? I already supplement with fish oils to try and offset my high meat consumption (that is not always grassfed sources). I have a history of inflammation, muscle tension, and heavy periods with painful cramping. No PCOS, probably estrogen dominance....
    I was wondering about this as well. I can't comment on the protocol because I haven't tried it, but through personal experience the only thing that has had ANY impact on the pain involved with menstruating has been completely eliminating nuts/seeds (basically, sources of lots of omega-6) rom my diet. I have endometriosis, have probably had it to some degree since I started menstruating. I have slept in a pitch-black room since I was a teenager (28 now). I know you need a consistent sleep schedule and I have no idea what adding a night light would do (other than prevent me from sleeping). I would never consider adding oils with a high omega-6 content on a regular basis, now that I KNOW they were making the pain significantly worse (debilitating, actually). So I'm happy for those who have had success with this protocol actually improving their cycles (and not just changing the timing), but won't be trying it any time soon.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Seeds and Oils: from New Moon to Full Moon take 1 T. of sunflower seeds daily and 1 T. of cod-liver oil daily. From Full Moon to New Moon take 1 T. pumpkin seeds and 2 caps Borage Oil daily. If you normally take cod-liver oil daily, continue it during the full to new moon stage as well. Optional, but helpful if it agrees with you, is to also take 1 T. of freshly ground flax seeds all month long.
    Is this forever, or just until the cycle aligns?

I am super skeptical, but I love (safe) personal experimentation, so you've piqued my interest!

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    I was wondering about this as well. I can't comment on the protocol because I haven't tried it, but through personal experience the only thing that has had ANY impact on the pain involved with menstruating has been completely eliminating nuts/seeds (basically, sources of lots of omega-6) rom my diet. I have endometriosis, have probably had it to some degree since I started menstruating. I have slept in a pitch-black room since I was a teenager (28 now). I know you need a consistent sleep schedule and I have no idea what adding a night light would do (other than prevent me from sleeping). I would never consider adding oils with a high omega-6 content on a regular basis, now that I KNOW they were making the pain significantly worse (debilitating, actually). So I'm happy for those who have had success with this protocol actually improving their cycles (and not just changing the timing), but won't be trying it any time soon.
    After I posted the question I did more research. I found a lot of recommendations for evening primrose and borage oil (and a few others), all omega 6 type oils, in regards to helping menstrual pain, regulating cycles, pms, etc. Maybe its just not as simple as adding up omega 3 to omega 6 ratios, but sometimes the types of oils and components in each. <shrug>

I did see comments about the omega 6 contradictory with ovulation, so I can see where the naturapath would recommend it only after ovulation. I personally have experimented with evening primrose oil to reduce my cycle length and menstraul pain (its been a couple years since I have taken it consistently), but I have never used it while I am tracking my ovulation, I just took it every day no matter what. It did help my cycles a bit and my pain, I just fell out of habit and later decided to avoid all Omega 6's.

I added cod liver oil to my regime at the start of the new moon this time around. I have not yet ovulated though, so I have opted to NOT switch to borage oil yet (even though the full moon has passed). I figure as soon as I ovulate I will switch, and then at the new moon go back to cod liver. I figure this self experimentation cannot hurt, my cycles are such a wreck as it is.

Isis is offline Senior Member
    this is weird... after reading about this thread last month, on the night of the full moon and pre and post, I slept with our top front bedroom window bilnds open (to let the street light's light filter in, as don't have a night light). I have been waiting for my cycles to start again since stopping the pill the month prior. I also started seeing a TCM practitioner and have been taking some chinese herbs to help start my period.
    Anyway, lo and behold, today will be a NEW MOON and ta da- my period came this morning!!! I've actually never been so excited to have it come back lol.
    Over the last few weeks I kept feeling cramps and would think my period must be coming, oh no I hope it comes when its a new moon hehe.
    Right now I've got no pain, no cramps, still a bit bloated tho, and tired from yoga/gym, but I'm strangely really WARM- burning ears, itchy pink neck, pink cheeks, and my aluminium free deodorant isn't quite holding up LOL :/
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Aaaagh, today I had an unbearable ache in my lower back and thought for sure Aunt Flo was coming today. Maybe tomorrow? Hopefully she will have by Sunday, that's when I'm starting progesterone (day 7).

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Great thread,
    Any women still playing with this idea, may see if my partner wants to give it a try.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Had a bit of a look around found some related studies:
    The regulation of menstrual cycle ... [Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1986] - PubMed - NCBI
    [Births, fertility, rhy... [J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 1986] - PubMed - NCBI
    A lunar effect on fertility. [Soc Biol. 1981 Spring-Summer] - PubMed - NCBI
    Daily birth numbers in Passo Fundo, Sout... [Braz J Med Biol Res. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Interestingly most, more recent studies showed no corrolations, this may be because there is none or it may well be due to confounding factors like increased night lighting, one major factor I think is the "Blue Light" factor that emanates from TV's, which have become more common place in every bedroom in the last 20 years, it is well known that blue light interferes with the bodies circadian cycles.

Many of the studies suggested cultural practices and beleifs resulted in myths related to the Lunar cycle, but this, in my eye is very much discounted by a simple fact that many of the drugs we have today and still currently being investigated are the result of cultural practices that go back thousands of years in primitive societies.
    So I don't think we can just pick and choose the potential validity of cultural practices, the more we look at ancient cultural practices, the morew truth we find in them.

Miss Grok is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another point of view suggesting that women who bleed on the full moon may not be "out of sync" Should your period land on the full moon or the new moon to be in sync with nature? | Yoga Goddess | Prenatal Yoga Classes, Fertility Yoga, Kundalini Yoga Meditation, Yoga Retreats for Women | Toronto, ON

"There are two traditional patterns women’s cycles can follow – the Red Moon cycle or the White moon cycle.

You won’t find a lot of literature about women who cycle with the Red Moon. My guess is that’s because of what menstruating with the full moon represented in the past. According to Miranda Gray, this cycle was linked to the archetype of the seductress, the enchantress and the woman who knew how to wield healing power and magic. This was the kind of woman whose sexuality was applied to something ‘other than’ the formation of the next generation. She was considered by our patriarchal ancestors as the ‘evil woman.’

In truth, the Red Moon cycle belonged to the medicine women, to the mid-wives, the magic-makers and the wisdom keepers of the community. These women were not focusing their feminine energies to give birth to children. Rather their energy was used to empower other women and their communities."
    "Fact is, we're the freaks, the misfit mutants surrounded by readily-available (and free) information about the evils of fat, the benefits of whole-grains etc. From an evolutionary point of view we're the weirdos with a short-life expectancy or we're trail-blazing a 'new' path." ~ AlanC

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345