Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Bad is Sour Cream? page 2

Betho is offline Senior Member
    agreed. I'm lucky that one of the common "commercial" sour cream brands around here is a locally produced and with "live active cultures" type. Super thick and fabulous. But either way I don't see sour cream as being a bad thing unless it's the "fat free" variety that my husband got gypped with the other day... poor guy. We eat the stuff all the time.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE sour cream and always eat it when it's warranted on something you would normally put sour cream on, such as a salad bowl from Chipotle. If I buy the commercial variety, I always buy Daisy brand as the only ingredient is cultured cream.

However, if I have some homemade Creme Fraiche waiting to be churned into butter, that is the best!
    Last edited by HTownGirl; 07-05-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Oh man, it's terrible... especially for me, I can't just open a container and use it... I have to finish it.
    Same. When I crack open a tub of sour cream I'm lucky if it lasts until the next day. It's just so good on EVERYTHING. Definitely a once in a long while kind of buy for me, but only because of my gross lack of self control.

vishnuns39620 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Sour Cream is more delicious than Peanut Butter!

Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
    Same. When I crack open a tub of sour cream I'm lucky if it lasts until the next day. It's just so good on EVERYTHING. Definitely a once in a long while kind of buy for me, but only because of my gross lack of self control.
    I definitely am in the same boat as yourself Sir! I bought an all natural Cup of Sour Cream last evening and magically its empty today morning

Good to know its a great Dairy-Fat (with low low carb content)

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I love sour cream and eat a lot of it. Best of all, though, is the thick cream which I "sour" by stirring in a tablespoon or so of kefir and leaving it overnight.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I make my own with kefir grains and organic cream. I try never to be out of it.

Creme fraiche has become a favorite of mine, the ingredients are simple (cows cream, and culture) and it tastes amazing with 11 grams of fat for one ounce.

Stephanie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Oh man, it's terrible... especially for me, I can't just open a container and use it... I have to finish it.
    DITTO!

Luckily here in CO we have access to high quality sour cream (organic, pastured, etc) at some natural health food stores...

caitijayne is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    our farmers market has some really awesome mexican dips that are sour cream based. i use them to dip veggies in, or put onto meat/chicken, or potatoes.
    its hard to say if its the real stuff, though, so i try to go easy on it. the only sour cream ive ever seen (especially in the store) is just filled with crap and it says "artificially soured" right on it. hard to say if it was the good stuff or the cheap stuff that they used in your restaurant.
    also, im not one of the ones who can lose weight on a high fat low carb paleo situation, ive gained weight doing that so i try to keep it to a minimum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12