Thread: Is Our Walking "Enough?" page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

Question Is Our Walking "Enough?"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My wife and I have been working on going Primal for about 3 weeks now and we've been taking fairly regular evening walks. Recently we've increased our pace enough so that it's uncomfortable for us to hold hands but still slow enough to have a comfortable conversation without huffing and puffing. Additionally, we've been trying to incorporate our spint exercises into our walk so we do 1-2 each time we walk. (I'm not entirely sold on the effectiveness of this approach yet, either.)

I'm concerned, though, that we both seem unable to elevate our heart rates into the 55-75% range. While it's been great for our relationship (I'm now spending way less time playing video games and more time with my family), I don't know that we're gaining full benefit from enough low-level cardio exercise. While we're not in the best shape, we're not in the worst shape either. I walk around a fair amount at work somedays and my wife walks one of our kids to and from school during the school year.

Any suggestions for guidelines about the intensity we should be trying to maintain?

Thanks.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Have you given any thought to sprinting a couple of times a week? Remember, sprinting may not be running- it can be cycling if you prefer. Shorts bursts of high intensity.

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Just keep walking! Don't worry about your heartrate. Don't do sprints everytime go guys go for a week either. Just walk, and talk with your wife and look around and get fresh air. Yes to your question....walking IS enough!!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Is your goal to live a long time in good health? Walking is plenty.

Is your goal to outrace a bicycle in a 50 yard dash? Sprint!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Like denbro01 said, don't worry about your heartrate.

Relax. Walk. Enjoy. You are signaling to your genes that you are a mobile, active person, and your body will change accordingly.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    More walking is good, fresh air and talking to the women in your life is good! I doubt you are getting a proper sprint, but doing little ones may get your heart rate up a bit, nothing wrong with that. I would make an effort to actually have a "sprint workout" once a week, though.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I would make an effort to actually have a "sprint workout" once a week, though.
    I thought it would come to that. We're going away for a week right away and I want to really get into the fitness on the extra week away from work I have when we get back.

I'm still mostly concerned about the "intensity," or lack thereof, in the evening strolls
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Griffin,

The idea is mainly to keep the intensity "down." Just walk and enjoy.