Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rooibos Tea - What of it? page 3

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's a great evening thing for me after I've hit my 8pm no more food cutoff time. I am an evening nibbler and it keeps me from doing that. I have some weight to lose. I love the taste of it. Got turned on to it (bush tea) after reading a few of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. Delightful books for those of you who are readers out there.
    Last edited by pdovers; 07-11-2011 at 07:47 AM.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I like Republic of Tea Double Red rooibos.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

The guy who runs that site I linked you to is really great. He sells all the "stuff" for making kombucha but gives away a series of tutorial videos for free, even if you don't buy anything. He has this continuous brew technique that involves a water cooler size brew tank with a spigot. You just leave the scoby in place and tap off what you need into bottles for secondary fermentation and replace with new tea at the top. It sounds like a lot less hassle than sterilizing everything and fussing with strainers and funnels, etc. I am hoping to put him in touch with Mark so that maybe we can have a kombucha brewing workshop at PrimalCon next year.
    I have been continous brewing Kombucha for 6 months and it couldn't be easier. The main piece of equipment is a 2+ gallon glass jar with a spigot on the bottom. I got mine at World Market - this time of year they are easy to find. I made my own starter Scoby from store bought Kombucha.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I've been using Rooibos in my continuous brewer for months. It's great! I'm also very sensitive to caffeine which is why I started using it. And I highly recommend a continous brew system-makes things so much easier.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

DKSABS is offline Member
    How often do you have to do "something" to the continuous brewing system? I travel often for work, and am out of town for 3-5 nights approximately 2-3 times per month. Would there be a problem if I left it unattended while gone? I bought a dehydrated scoby but haven't had time to do anything with it yet. Am currently out of town for 2 weeks because my 17 year old is having surgery out of state in Texas on Tuesday.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I have been continous brewing Kombucha for 6 months and it couldn't be easier. The main piece of equipment is a 2+ gallon glass jar with a spigot on the bottom. I got mine at World Market - this time of year they are easy to find. I made my own starter Scoby from store bought Kombucha.
    Help me! I look at the bottles of kombucha and get the willies. I'm usually pretty courageous about tryng new things but not this one. Anything slimy gags me. What does it taste like. Do you get a slimy feel from the floating stuff?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I just made rooibos with some strawberry tea for a refreshing iced tea. Digby I haven't tried kombucha either, it's expensive in the market I shop.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Quote Originally Posted by DKSABS View Post
    How often do you have to do "something" to the continuous brewing system? I travel often for work, and am out of town for 3-5 nights approximately 2-3 times per month. Would there be a problem if I left it unattended while gone? I bought a dehydrated scoby but haven't had time to do anything with it yet. Am currently out of town for 2 weeks because my 17 year old is having surgery out of state in Texas on Tuesday.
    I just re-fill mine once a week, rather than pouring out one or two bottles a day and having to constantly re-fill it. So as long as you're not away for more than a week or so, it should be fine. And even if you end up leaving it too long and it gets vinegar-y, it can still be salvaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Help me! I look at the bottles of kombucha and get the willies. I'm usually pretty courageous about tryng new things but not this one. Anything slimy gags me. What does it taste like. Do you get a slimy feel from the floating stuff?
    You can't even taste the "slimy stuff". It depends on what flavor you get/use as to how it tastes. I put cinnamon chips or cloves in mine and it tastes like apple cider.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    I've been using Rooibos in my continuous brewer for months. It's great! I'm also very sensitive to caffeine which is why I started using it. And I highly recommend a continous brew system-makes things so much easier.
    Good to know. Thank you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast