Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rooibos Tea - What of it? page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I like it, but not all brands are equal. I wonder what Paleobird likes since she's had the real thing.
    Well, IMHO, rooibos tastes great just as is but a lot of tea companies try to sell you rooibos blends with lavender flowers, orange peel, vanilla, (and some brands sneak in some fake sweeteners). I buy mine from The Tea Spot.com. If you buy 2 one lb packages, the shipping is free.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    My South African relatives put us onto this ages ago. I like it, and while it can't quite replace coffee for me, its a good alternative once I've made it over the mid-morning crunch at work. Not sure of the health benefits other than there's supposed to be many. Its good hot or cold, and its versatile. Good stuff
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Paleobird Guest
    I've also been making tea jello with this and some lime juice. The really firm kind of jello, knox blox style. It's edible iced tea.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Has anybody used it to make Kombucha?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Has anybody used it to make Kombucha?
    I'm planning on giving this a try when I get back from Africa (don't want to buy a scoby and all that right before leaving). I don't see why it wouldn't work. The fermentation process in all about the sugar. The tea is just something to dilute it in.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm planning on giving this a try when I get back from Africa (don't want to buy a scoby and all that right before leaving). I don't see why it wouldn't work. The fermentation process in all about the sugar. The tea is just something to dilute it in.
    I think the real tea in important for kombucha, not just the sugar. I think if you use rooibos it might work a few times, but eventually it will kill the scoby.

On the jello note though, I do make kombucha jello! ( I only use cold water). I add the kids liquids vitamins to it and have knox blox vitamin/probiotic snacks

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I think the real tea in important for kombucha, not just the sugar. I think if you use rooibos it might work a few times, but eventually it will kill the scoby.
    I think you're wrong there PaleoMom. This company Tea For Brewing Kombucha and several others sell lots of different teas specifically for making kombucha including rooibos. I was concerned about the caffeine in kombucha since I am medically restricted to zero caffeine due to a seizure disorder, so I wrote to the guy who runs this company and he said that any herbal tea would work just fine. It's just the flavoring device. The sugar is the scoby's food.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link Paleobird, that is the first I've heard of it working. I think I'll try a batch!

For what it's worth, I too am extremely sensitive to caffeine, to the extent that even a single cup of white tea can sometimes be too much. With that said, I have absolutely no caffeine symptoms from kombucha. They say the caffeine gets eaten with the sugar and I believe it based on my personal experience. I brew it at home with black tea.

I have also tried it with green and white which both taste great, but I felt the detox effect seemed lessened quite a bit. I'm curious how the rooibos will feel on this front.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Great taste. I drink it in the evenings as it's got no caffeine.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Thanks for the link Paleobird, that is the first I've heard of it working. I think I'll try a batch!

For what it's worth, I too am extremely sensitive to caffeine, to the extent that even a single cup of white tea can sometimes be too much. With that said, I have absolutely no caffeine symptoms from kombucha. They say the caffeine gets eaten with the sugar and I believe it based on my personal experience. I brew it at home with black tea.

I have also tried it with green and white which both taste great, but I felt the detox effect seemed lessened quite a bit. I'm curious how the rooibos will feel on this front.
    Yeah, I don't seem to have the normal jittery effects of caffeine with store bought kombucha either. Perhaps the caffeine does get consumed too. I feel like rooibos is the greatest detox/ immune system booster ever. Combining that with the fermentation aspect of kombucha would be even cooler.

The guy who runs that site I linked you to is really great. He sells all the "stuff" for making kombucha but gives away a series of tutorial videos for free, even if you don't buy anything. He has this continuous brew technique that involves a water cooler size brew tank with a spigot. You just leave the scoby in place and tap off what you need into bottles for secondary fermentation and replace with new tea at the top. It sounds like a lot less hassle than sterilizing everything and fussing with strainers and funnels, etc. I am hoping to put him in touch with Mark so that maybe we can have a kombucha brewing workshop at PrimalCon next year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast