Thread: My Steady Progress -- In Three Phases since Jan 2011 page

leomeister is offline Junior Member

My Steady Progress -- In Three Phases since Jan 2011

Shop Now
    In January I started reading The Primal Blueprint (PB), and I started with (what I considered) Phase 1: Primal Foods. I basically stopped eating the non-primal foods and focused on the foods I liked to eat that were deemed primal. The switch was easy at first, but then of course cravings for pasta, rice and cereal were challenges. I believe I was 90% successful on average. I did this for a month or so while continuing to read Mark's book. Around this time I also switched from lots of running to some running, and started sprint workouts (I was already doing Crossfit along with running 9-12 miles/week before reading PB). I was about 145lbs in January, and over my BMI (I'm a short guy). I had a gut and lots of love handles!

About 6 weeks later, I started Phase 2: Percentages. I started to ensure I was eating less carbohydrates and more fats and protein. It was a bit challenging -- especially getting more fat in my diet! I toned down on veggies and fruit to reduce the carbohydrate.

In April, I started Phase 3: Calorie Monitoring & Intermittent Fasting (IF). I used myfitnesspal.com to enter what I was eating. This is when I started weighing in, too. I tried not to focus on the weight, but in my April weigh-in, I was 140lbs! I lost 5lbs from Phase I and Phase II alone.

The real work of calorie monitoring and IF started. It wasn't hard to reduce my calories as I wasn't far off the mark for my activity level when I did all the measurements per Mark's book. For more weight loss, I needed to reduce my daily intake by about 250 calories. I targeted the carbohydrates.

My next weigh-in was in early May, I was at 138lbs. I liked this progress. I started with IF once a week, and it was difficult at first. Many thoughts were in my mind about whether IF was healthy or not. I read a lot more about IF outside of PB. It seemed like enough science was behind it and so I kept at it.

In my late May weigh-in I was 136lbs. In early June, 134lbs...then came busy-time as I was preparing to move to Japan. The habits I developed in the past few months are what I credit to my keeping primal. I had stopped all-day IFs, but was still monitoring caloric intake. I did mini-IFs by skipping meals. Then I just gave up for about a week due to going away lunches, dinners, and final this-or-that with friends. Still did my best to keep primal -- though I was probably dipping below that 80/20 success rate.

I've now been in Japan almost 10 days, my fridge and pantry is now stocked primally, but I've yet to start working out and have done a lot of sitting and driving lately. Also, the rice and noodle dishes are delicious here in Japan. The sweets are not-so-sweet -- much to my pleasant surprise. Still trying to hold on to a 80/20 success rate, I reintegrated IF last week.

Today was a surprising day. I was at a doctor's appointment and without thinking it was a possibility, was being put to a weigh-in! Yes, the medical assistant needed that piece of information, too. Nonchalantly, she led me to a scale and asked me to step up. I paused only briefly to think -- OMG, this is a weigh-in! Then I kicked off my shoes (I needed some advantage), and stepped up to the scale. I weighed in at 131.5 today -- with clothes!

I was shocked. I expected either no progress, or more likely a slight reversal. I had not worked out in over 10 days, but I know I kept to a primal diet (more or less) and I only overate once during a welcome-to-Japan dinner of carb-heavy noodles, rice, tofu, soy, and tempura fried dishes.

I'm glad to be down to this weight, but I won't let it get to my head. I need to hit the gym tomorrow -- I'm afraid that some of the weight loss might be reduced muscle mass from almost two weeks of no strength training.

Overall, I think my lifestyle change to Primal Living has led me to a naturally progressive momentum towards a healthier me. I'll have to report back in a few months after integrated Japanese food into my lifestyle.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Leo

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Wow! That seems like a very smart plan. Interestingly, my Primal transformation followed a similar if unplanned path. I am also in your Phase 3 and trying to get closer to 100% Primal (no non primal cheat foods). Good Luck with your new life in Japan. Sounds exciting.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Keep up the great work Leo. Enjoy Japan.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Very sensible way to do it, I pretty much did the same thing. You also do not seemed to be worried about other people's opinions. You do your own reading and come to your own conclusions. I think this mental aspect is really important.

Enjoy Japan.
    Life. Be in it.

Loco Moco is offline Member
    congrats on your success!! that's awesome! i think you'll find japanese cuisine and culture melds very well with primal principles - especially the concept of hara hachi bu. have fun and keep us posted!