Thread: Primal Journal (Beenbean) page

beenbean is offline Member

Primal Journal (Beenbean)

I've never been one for publicly chronicling my doings, but I'm open to seeing how this works for me. A bit of accountability can't hurt, can it?

The recent leptin threads have caught my interest, especially the ones outlining Dr. Jack Kruse's approach. I have a couple of trips coming up over the next few weeks, as well as foot surgery, so now might not be the best time to try to do a reset. But I'm going to try, anyway. (If it doesn't work out, I can always try again later, right?) I'm concerned about how I'm going to have reliable access to an expedient 50-grams-of-protein breakfast, but I've decided to allow myself to use protein powder as a backup for part, or, when necessary, all of the 50 grams. It's not optimal, but apparently Dr. K says it's acceptable. When I travel, I'll just pack a bag of powder and a blender cup.

For the rest (no snacking, regularly spaced meals, whole foods, and carb-controlled): well, that's all just business as usual, or it should be. My eating habits had drifted far away from this over the past few weeks. I grew up back when no snacking and regular meals were conventional wisdom, so this part is also a kind of "reset" for me.

I'm interested in the leptin reset for the sake of fat loss, of course, but also because several folks have seen their sleep improve as a result. Last night was typical for me: quickly falling asleep for a couple of hours, then awakening to toss and turn for an hour or so. Giving up and reading for a couple of hours, then back to sleep for more tossing and turning before a final hour and a half of relatively peaceful sleep just before getting up. This has been going on for several years now.

Got up at 6:30 this morning, weighed myself (180.7 lbs; plan to do this once a week or so), fed the kitties (cat-breakfast comes before all else in this house), then threw a couple of sausage patties into a pan and whisked up three eggs with some herbs and cheese to scramble. Ate all that (it wasn't too hard, although it was more than I wanted), then mixed up a scoop and a half of Jay Robb chocolate whey powder with 12 oz. of unsweetened almond milk (37 grams of protein). I'm guessing that the total came to around 60 or so grams of protein. I should note that I finished dinner at 5:30 PM yesterday, so was breaking a 13-hour fast. I felt hungry while reading during the night, but didn't feel particularly hungry this morning.

After breakfast, I felt rather ill—nauseated, tired, just really not good at all. Curled up on the couch and dozed for half an hour. It's been three hours now since I ate, and I'm feeling less nauseated, but still not good.

And thus it begins! I'll try to keep this updated over the next 6 or 8 weeks. Cheers to all fellow travelers!

beenbean is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Was feeling better by noon yesterday. Felt the first stirrings of hunger just as 12:30 PM approached, right on target for a 5-hour interval from breakfast. Had a large bowl of coconut curry chicken soup, which carried me through until around 5 PM, when I was more than ready for dinner. Cooked up a couple of tiny chuck steaks and had them with some pole beans cooked with ham. I really, really wanted a taste of something sweet—a few M&Ms or a can of Fresca—but ignored the craving and it went away quickly.

Given how hungry I was for dinner, I probably should have had more for lunch. Will try to remedy that today.

Sleep was about the same last night—IOW, not good. I've been wearing a FitBit at night to track my sleep for roughly the past year, as well as playing a night-time relaxation tape, and last night I decided to forgo both. They've both been useful, but I suddenly realized that, between the two techniques, I'd effectively hijacked my sleep for the relatively blunt, crude purposes of measurement and indoctrination. Again, they've both been useful, but I felt a sudden pang of longing for sleep that is mystical, magical, incalculable, liminal . . . I'm thining of Keats' "Sleep and Poetry." Somewhere after midnight, during my first awakening, I took off the FitBit and laid it aside, then allowed myself to drift gently in a soft, unhurried wakefulness. After a while, I read an Anthony Doerr short story on my Kindle, drifted a bit more, then fell asleep for a couple of hours before dawn, punctuated by the cats' comings and goings. All in all, I don't think I slept any more than the night before, but the experience was completely different, much gentler and richer. I've been trying so hard, so desperately to grasp this feathered sleep-thing that I've instead crushed and mangled it . . . so I will stop doing that.

Up at 6:30 this morning. Two more of the tiny steaks, half a protein shake, and then a bit of a cheat: a fried egg, two slices of bacon, and some cheddar on a toasted homemade biscuit. I had the biscuits left over from before deciding to do the reset and didn't especially want to throw my handiwork way, and I'd also thought I'd ease into the program, experimenting a bit along the way. I'm sure I got at least the full 50 grams of protein this morning, so I'm interested to see what effect the biscuit has on my hunger between now and lunch at 12:30 or 1 PM. Not planning on any additional carbs beyond non-starchy veggies for the rest of the day.