Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with PB muscle gaining page

Kane Guest

Shop Now

Hey everyone, I'm finally back in the forums after 2 months of no internet, its been torture!

I have recently decided that being a short (5ft8) and light (133 lbs) 20 year old male is no good, so I have decided to gain some muscle.

I have tried to gain muscle many times before with no avail, although i always have a good idea why. I do not have a gym membership (until January that is!) The only weights are I own are some Dumbbells that only have a max weight of 35lbs. But in January I get my gym membership and I would love to gain 10-20 lbs before the summer kicks in.

I know im a little early, but i would really like to see if anyone here has great tips for gaining muscle while on the PB. Any ideas on great PB muscle foods, or any strategies for maximizing gains would be great. Has anyone ever successfully gained muscle without gaining fat on the PB?

I have read the PB book, and marks post on gaining weight and muscle building, but I am look for personal experience from you guys.

Thanks very much

-Kane

Vick is offline Senior Member

Here are a couple of excellent links providing a summary on research.

http://www.cbass.com/Carpinelli.htm

http://www.cbass.com/LiftingWithEffort.htm

I hope that helps. Training won't overcome genetics. The Roman soldier could kick anyone's but and yet they were on average 135 - 145 lbs.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

While you're waiting for that gym membership to start, don't underestimate the value of bodyweight work. Pushups, planks, and pullups are awesome. Squats and straight-leg deadlifts can be done with those dumbbells. And be creative -- try pushups with a backpack full of sand, etc.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Kane,

YouTube Crossfit Thrusters and you'll get a slew of videos to watch of this exercise. Do them with your 35 lb dumbells, you won't want any more. Do them fast and intensely. Do deadlifts with your dumbells. Look up Kettlebell swings...do them with your dumbell. Same with Push Presses. These are the exercises that will help you build mass. As others have said, bodyweight exercises are great too. Pushups, situps (real situps without foot anchors, not crunches), burpees. Explosive complex body exercises. You can't help but build muscle.

Eat meat. Lots of it. Don't forget to get your fat in too, but eat lots of meat. I've put on over 20 lbs doing this in a year and still wear the same size jeans. It can be done. Good luck, I look forward to hearing your progress!

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

I too am trying to gain weight

My real trouble is just eating enough... I've been switching to eating healthier and have been lifting heavy, but I accidentally lost weight (not bad since it was fat that I lost but still, annoying)

It's very hard for me to stuff my face to the amount I need to gain weight... I guess I need to eat more frequently/constantly/

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

You just need to eat a lot and lift heavy weights. Most hardgainers overestimate how much they eat. Eat 3500 calories a day and start a program like Mark Rippetoes starting strength. I'd aim for 4000 calories though since it is really easy to overestimate when you are a hardgainer. Don't worry about fat gain. Fat comes off a whooole lot easier then muscle does.

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

Yeah, I do starting strength its good times

I dont even count what I eat, I just try to eat as much as I can, but clearly its not enough.... next semester I'm going to start planning out my meals so I get enough in.

mikecheliak is offline Junior Member

Lots of Quality calories using the PB and lift HEAVY STUFF! You need to stimulate Hypertrophy by lifting heavy loads for fewer reps (5-8 Max). Remember Form is everything! Never sacrifice proper form on any exercise. When lifting heavy it is critical to ensure you are concentrating fully and using perfect form.

If you are not comfortable with using really heavy loads, please...get a Personal Trainer or a friend to help with your workout. Safe-T FIRST!

JamieBelle is offline Member

Like you, I have started out at my ideal weight and my goal has been to replace body fat with muscle. The PB has helped with that, along with a very regimented weight lifting schedule. I've done a lot of research in "body shaping" so to speak and also am working with a trainer a couple times a month who really keeps me challenged, focused, and in good form.

I have not gained a pound on the PB and have dropped 2% body fat so far. I started out at 19% body fat and now I'm at 17%. I'm petite and only weight 100 lbs.

I've actually started to carb cycle because I've read enough about this to decide it's worth a try for my fitness goals. I am carb cycling on the weekends, and trying to keep away from grains while I do so. Monday through Friday I keep my carbs at 50g per day or below. On the weekends I try to keep my carbs higher while limiting my fats somewhat, and keeping protein the same.

I also take a creatine ethyl ester supplement daily.

It's working for me! Good luck.

jedwards.crossfit Guest

Some of the most brutal workouts I've ever done have been bodyweight workouts. Don't under estimate the power of just moving your own body. Renegade rows can be done w/ your 35lb dumbells. Couple that w/ the thrusters mentioned about and you've got one crazy workout. Routine is the enemy so switch it up as often as possible. Good luck, train hard!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast