Thread: New to IF page

goodegg is offline Junior Member

New to IF

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been eating primal for about 6 weeks and want to try IF. I do crossfit 3-4x/week at either 8:15AM or 12:00 PM and I usually bike or walk in the afternoon.

So what is the best way to fit IF into this schedule? Do it on the non-crossfit days I guess? Is skipping breakfast the typical way to start? I've also skipped dinner on occasion when kids had evening sports.

Elizabeth

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Please post more information (height/weight/diet/age/etc). IF is most effective when you have everything else dialed in and are looking to lose the last 5-10 lbs. It is not a beginner move. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who still has more than that to lose, or is still fighting with other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Please post more information (height/weight/diet/age/etc). IF is most effective when you have everything else dialed in and are looking to lose the last 5-10 lbs. It is not a beginner move. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who still has more than that to lose, or is still fighting with other issues.
    I am 35 years old, 5'4" and about 130 pounds. In the last 6 weeks I have lost two inches around my waist and maintained the same weight. I haven't tested body fat or anything but I look and feel better.

My diet is probably about 90% primal. I logged my food a few times and I was around 1200 - 1400 calories and 50 carbs.

For the last year, I was eating healthy according to CW: lean protein, good carbs, and working out A LOT in the gym. I am enjoying every aspect of this new lifestyle.

Thanks for your help!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Nothing personal, I just see a lot of people trying to lose 50lbs or more by IF, and it seems like it's not the best idea.

There are lots of different ways you can fast. You can fast every day for 16-20 hours. You can fast once or twice a week for 24 hours or so. I don't fast on a daily basis, but do a 16 or 24 at least once a week. The most common way to do this is to eat dinner, then fast until lunch or dinner the next day.

If everything else is dialed in, then the workout schedule shouldn't really matter. Your body is used to running on fat stores, and will continue to do so when you work out. You shouldn't crash after a workout, because your blood sugar should be pretty stable. Some people break their fasts immediately after working out, some don't.

So the short answer is: Try it and see what works for you. If you like to skip dinner and break your fast after your morning crossfit, then do it. (If lunch ends at 1300, then a fast until 1000 is 21 hours.) I would recommend a 16-hour fast on a non-crossfit day to start, and see how your body and mind react to it. If you like it, do it more, or do it longer. If you feel like crap, then you may need to change something.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I would say that the best IF schedule is a flexible one that works well into your life. That said, skipping breakfast is very common and that's what works for me. I'm also a fan of working out in a fasted state and that did take some getting used to. Your mileage may vary of course.

Oh I'm not offended, it was a good question. I'm going to try to eat an early dinner on Thurday and go 16-18 hours. That should get me to 11AM.

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member