Left Chili Out for 8 hours... ok to eat?
I kind of forgot about the Chili I made yesterday... It was amazing and I enjoyed some right away. I usually then let it cool down and put it in the refrigerator about 30 to 60 minutes later.
I forgot to do this yesterday.
I left it on the stove and then went over to my relatives for the rest of the day. I came home and smelled it and it did not have a funny smell. It did not look funny either.
It was sitting out for 8 total hours.
The chili was made with little butter, 2 lbs of 75/25 100% grassfed ground beef from us wellness meats, apple cider vinegar, bell peppers, broccoli, canned stewed tomatoes with a decent amount of salt.
Do you think it will be ok to eat? Or should I throw it away as a pre caution?
Sorry to say this, but I wouldn't risk it. Throw it away. Some of the most deadly food poisoning can come from food that doesn't look or smell funny. Especially in the summer months.
Health Canada recommends not eating leftovers that have been held outside of refrigeration more than two hours.
Maybe take the food out to the woods and feed it to the animals so it doesn't go to waste.
Last edited by goodangels; 07-05-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Interesting thought. About 5 of my twitter friends said to go for it. Its 5-1 in favor of to eat it. Anyone else have thoughts?
Invite your 5 twitter friends over for dinner and let them eat it. Observe them carefully for 24 hours. LOL
eat it, then maybe we won't have to put up with your 50 novel-length comments on everything Mark posts on the main site.
No way in hell I'd eat it. Ever had food poisoning? Not worth it to save a few bucks.
I'd eat it. Salt and vinegar? Should be OK
Eat it. I do this all the time with soups ou stews to let them cool down, it doesn't matter at all. Don't forget that thing was boiling for a while, so the potentially harmful bacterias are long dead. Unless you coughed on it numeral times during those 8 hours, your chili should be ok. If you're paranoid like the cough-p*ssies-cough that posted earlier, microwave it for 2-3 minutes, that should nuke the already dead bacterias once more.
Are you one of the stalkers?
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Tags for this Thread