Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Left Chili Out for 8 hours... ok to eat? page 3

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If the pot was covered and the house was not hot, I'd eat it.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    While reheating it (if done properly) will kill any new bacteria, it won't do a thing about the waste they have already left behind (and bacterial waste is measured in halflives - over 8+ hours you could have more than enough in there to make you stupid sick) if any harmful bacteria clamored in after your pot cooled down. That said, most self respecting bacteria won't infest a broccoli littered quagmire, no matter how much yummy cow is in there, and if you used a hefty amount of vinegar it probably took care of any bacteria lacking in self respect.

In like manner, you did admit to making your chili with broccoli, so it was plainly unfit for human consumption even before you mistakenly left it out, and since you posted your face on the internet with that little tidbit, I'd avoid the state of Texas for awhile. I'm pretty sure putting broccoli in chili is still a hanging offense there.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Honey, he put broccoli, no chiles, vinegar, and butter in his "chili." It's not a chili. A stew, maybe. But not a chili. The only way he could've made it any worse is if he left it soupy and put beans in it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would make sure that I heated it again, but I'd eat it.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    While reheating it (if done properly) will kill any new bacteria, it won't do a thing about the waste they have already left behind (and bacterial waste is measured in halflives - over 8+ hours you could have more than enough in there to make you stupid sick) if any harmful bacteria clamored in after your pot cooled down. That said, most self respecting bacteria won't infest a broccoli littered quagmire, no matter how much yummy cow is in there, and if you used a hefty amount of vinegar it probably took care of any bacteria lacking in self respect.

In like manner, you did admit to making your chili with broccoli, so it was plainly unfit for human consumption even before you mistakenly left it out, and since you posted your face on the internet with that little tidbit, I'd avoid the state of Texas for awhile. I'm pretty sure putting broccoli in chili is still a hanging offense there.
    +1
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

dado Guest
    What's up with you guys hating on the man's chili?

He does chili his own way, and that's great.

Haters gon' hate.

davem is offline Senior Member
    In the restaurants the rule of thumb was 4 hours. At my house the rule of thumb is the same. 8 hours for a chili, depends on the chili, if it's got a good quantity of hot peppers, they are antibacterial enough to keep things safe, but you used ground beef... if they ground it for you, I'd toss it asap. If you ground it yourself, I'd promptly reheat the batch, hold at 175 or higher for about 30 minutes, crash cool it, and be fine with it.

After reading a few more responses, it looks like there wasn't any chili in your chili then?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I kind of forgot about the Chili I made yesterday... It was amazing and I enjoyed some right away. I usually then let it cool down and put it in the refrigerator about 30 to 60 minutes later.

I forgot to do this yesterday.

I left it on the stove and then went over to my relatives for the rest of the day. I came home and smelled it and it did not have a funny smell. It did not look funny either.

It was sitting out for 8 total hours.

The chili was made with little butter, 2 lbs of 75/25 100% grassfed ground beef from us wellness meats, apple cider vinegar, bell peppers, broccoli, canned stewed tomatoes with a decent amount of salt.

Do you think it will be ok to eat? Or should I throw it away as a pre caution?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    no hatred just clarification for a stew to be a chilli it MUST have chillies in it

QED

Chili powder, dried, ground red chili peppers, sometimes with cumin and other spices

Definition: Chili is a popular dish of beef stewed with seasoning and chile peppers. Although chili -- or chili con carne -- probably originated in Texas, variations are cooked and enjoyed throughout United States. Some variations on the traditional Texas chili include chili with beans and other types of meat. The popular Cincinnati chili, an elaborate spaghetti topping with layers of chili made with Middle Eastern seasonings, chopped onions, beans and cheese, was created by Athanas Kiradjieff in 1922.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    What's up with you guys hating on the man's chili?

He does chili his own way, and that's great.

Haters gon' hate.
    He put broccoli. in. chili.

Mother Teresa might shamble out of the grave to hate on that.

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    We would still eat it in our house. Or at least my husband would. Our fridge sucks and we have to leave everything out for several hours before putting it in the fridge. However, if it were my chili it would be spicy as hell and very acidic so that makes a difference I guess.
    I'm not sure if I would even know if I had food poisoning. I get very violently ill from so many things. Meds, raw veggies, soy etc. Just yesterday violently throwing up after nothing but a strawberry.

I tend not to eat the stews left out because I am sensitive to everything else. I'm guessing you would be fine. Especially if your house was air conditioned.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast