Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any exercises to strengthen the ankle? page

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member

Any exercises to strengthen the ankle?

Like the title says. I recently hurt both my ankles doing sprints and I'd like to do what I can to prevent it from happening again. A search on the web so far has turned up balancing on one foot, first unweighted then proceeding to adding weight. Seems like it would work, but I thought I'd sound you guys out.... anyone have any experience doing these, and did it help? Any other ideas? I'm specifically looking for something that wouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so total per session, but any help at all would be much appreciated

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    You might be able to get a session with a physical therapist, since you were recently injured. But one thing to do is write the alphabet with your big toe. It gets you using all the little stability muscles that support the ankle. Also multi-directional stuff in the pool, though if you are strong enough on drybland is good too. The idea is that sudden multidirectional movements should be practiced, not just happen spontaneously under stress. Look up "jump training" on google.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Stand on a circular wobble/balance board with one side down and ride it around in circles in both directions. I did this at the beginning, middle and end of my workouts (10 times each direction per set) after I broke my ankle last year, and I healed up in record time.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Stand on a circular wobble/balance board with one side down and ride it around in circles in both directions. I did this at the beginning, middle and end of my workouts (10 times each direction per set) after I broke my ankle last year, and I healed up in record time.
    Actually sounds like a good use of a wobble board, unlike what I usually see. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    You might be able to get a session with a physical therapist, since you were recently injured. But one thing to do is write the alphabet with your big toe. It gets you using all the little stability muscles that support the ankle. Also multi-directional stuff in the pool, though if you are strong enough on drybland is good too. The idea is that sudden multidirectional movements should be practiced, not just happen spontaneously under stress. Look up "jump training" on google.
    A doc over here (temporarily in a mountain town in France) did some sort of manual adjustment that drastically eased the pain and improved my ROM. Good guy, despite his belief that my Vibrams aren't proper athletic wear, heh. So I've nearly got my full ROM when I'm not on the anti-inflammatories and I make sure to keep the ankle moving. I did a quick search for jump training, and only found info on improving my vertical jump -- is this it, or is it something else?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been wearing your vibrams and how far, fast, often do you sprint?

Jumprope?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    How long have you been wearing your vibrams and how far, fast, often do you sprint?

Jumprope?
    The injury was definitely from lack of experience and trying to go too fast, well, too fast. Essentially a few seconds into the sprint my power output suddenly took a dive -- it wasn't muscular exhaustion, and I'm pretty sure it was form, running too high on my toes. I've had the Vibrams for about 6 months now and jogged with them, but haven't really been going at full intensity.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I just looked using "jump training women" and all I found were medical journal articles that didn't give specifics, or people who wanted money for the specifics... It's a training program to reduce knee injuries in women, but which also helps reduce injuries overall. Sorry... That was a useless google search!
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

dado Guest
    You just have to keep going and keep being active, on your feet.

You're weak right now. Keep using those feet, keep sprinting through the pain, and you will become strong one day.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Start sprinting by doing hill sprints.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    You just have to keep going and keep being active, on your feet.

You're weak right now. Keep using those feet, keep sprinting through the pain, and you will become strong one day.
    Grrr... Listen to your body. If something is wrong (injured or broken) take the time out to rest it properly. Don't sprint through the pain of an injury, as it will only get worse. This is about healing and health, not about winning or punishing yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast