Thread: Question about walking page

PlaySomeJazz is offline Junior Member

Question about walking

Primal Fuel
    I was quite surprised when I saw the Primal Blueprint recommendation to move frequently and slowly for only 2-5 hours a week. I want to start walking for at least 5 days a week, because I don't do it very often, and the recommended number of hours puzzled me.

I always thought that, during a normal day, Grok had to walk a lot of the time, sometimes even reaching the maximum 5 hours in just one day when the need struck.

I want to do this right, and actually gain the full benefit of this, without downsides, but isn't 2-5 hours kind of little? Just yesterday I had a 1 hour and 15 minutes walk and felt phenomenal after I've finished. Another one like this and I'd go over the minimum recommendation, and yet another would land me somewhere in between the min and max recommended hours, just in three sessions a week. Walking for 1 hour, 5 times a week, would land me in the max.

Should I stick with these numbers? Also, is 5 hours really a maximum limit you should not exceed for your own good, and should I try slightly less than that? Is there an optimum number of hours per week I should aim for? And is there a recommended length (in minutes) for walking per day?

Thank you!

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    I think its the high intensity workouts that they suggest you limit.

I count general walking as play - so do as much as you like

Thanks for the reply!

I get where you're at, but according to the Primal Blueprint Fitness Pyramid, walking is included in the 2-5 hour limit, which, according to it, applies to slow pace movement, not high intensity workouts.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    For me I would say just move! Trying to figure out what this mythical Grok may or may not have done seems fruitless. He may have walked for one whole day with only some dried berries then found a good game source and not done much for a week. Or been happy in his forrest hide out eating bugs all day with the old lady by a nice waterfall and swimming lake. Make up what ever you like... for me the key is to do some form of moving everyday..and more than rolling out of bed and into a chair! LOL
    Walking and occassional more stressful sprint and some weight training is what I like.
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Sounds fair. I just want to avoid that part where too much ends up being counterproductive (cortisol and all that).

Here's what I found after digging through Mark's articles:

But how much do you need per week for real, ongoing health benefits? While there’s no limit to the benefit of low-intensity aerobic exercise, rest assured that you can experience outstanding health gains by engaging in simply a moderate amount of low-intensity aerobic movement. It shakes out likes this. Go for a minimum of two hours of low-intensity aerobic movement per week. Two hours pales in comparison to Grok’s daily grind, but I know few of us have the time to live a full Grok existence. (That’s not really the point anyway.) Ideally, however, we’d put in more than that two hour bare minimum. I’d consider three to five hours a week of low-intensity an optimal range for modern day folks.
    (Source: The Definitive Guide to Low Level Aerobic Activity)

So if I understand correctly, if my modern-day-folk schedule allows me to have as much walking per day I want, unlike the commonly busy schedules of others, I should go for it, without being concerned about anything?
    Last edited by PlaySomeJazz; 07-05-2011 at 04:08 AM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    If you stick to a 'stroll' rather than a 'power walk' go for it!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    So if I understand correctly, if my modern-day-folk schedule allows me to have as much walking per day I want, unlike the commonly busy schedules of others, I should go for it, without being concerned about anything?
    Yep

I've just checked the actual book as well, and as I read it more is better but if you're busy try to aim for at least 2-5 hours a week.

Edit: Actual Book = The Primal Blueprint - Page 169

Thank you all for the replies! I will "stroll" around to my heart's content on a daily basis

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Walk, walk, and walk some more! The 2-5 hours was a minimum suggestion.