Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Excessive fasting? page

  1. #1
    betweenthewheel's Avatar
    betweenthewheel is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Excessive fasting?

    Shop Now
    Hey everyone, new to these parts.

    I've been eating in an 8 hour window every day combined with a 24 hour fast twice a week.

    I guess i've combined Eat, Stop, Eat and a Lean Gains approach.

    Is there anything wrong with combining the two? I'd prefer to pick one method and stick with that, but i'm in weight loss mode, so i'd like to maximize weight loss.

  2. #2
    trippplez's Avatar
    trippplez is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96
    I'm doing similar thing: typical daily fast of 18-20 hours (that is, 4-6 hour for the eating window), and once-twice a week close to a 24 hour fast (dinner to dinner). Not very strict though, but I dare to say, with great results.

  3. #3
    chickenbackside's Avatar
    chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    246
    Well, I've been eating in a one hour window every single day for the past year, if that helps.

    That's after I lost about 100lbs. I have no problems maintaining my fat loss and have built a substantial amount of muscle at the same time. No sugar, no grains, no starches, small amount of berries once or twice a week, and a sprinkle of chopped walnuts/macadamias over my salads. But I eat as much fat/meat/seafood/veggies as I want when I eat.

  4. #4
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    As long as your calories are not too low on average and you feel happy and satisfied, your eating schedule is not of a paramount importance, as all people different. I am combining the 14 hour fasts with 21 hour fasts, with 1 or 2 normal days a week, depending on how life is going for me.

  5. #5
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by betweenthewheel View Post
    Hey everyone, new to these parts.

    I've been eating in an 8 hour window every day combined with a 24 hour fast twice a week.

    I guess i've combined Eat, Stop, Eat and a Lean Gains approach.

    Is there anything wrong with combining the two? I'd prefer to pick one method and stick with that, but i'm in weight loss mode, so i'd like to maximize weight loss.
    You didn't mention if you have a lot of weight to lose, or just tuning up.

    If you have a lot of weight to lose, I would not be doing it yet. Read up on the leptin reset. If not, how you IF is up to you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    You didn't mention if you have a lot of weight to lose, or just tuning up.

    If you have a lot of weight to lose, I would not be doing it yet. Read up on the leptin reset. If not, how you IF is up to you.
    So that leaves me curious. Didn't you say back in the other thread that n=0 for you on the leptin do-over? Kinda curious why you're still supporting it and why you are sooooooo against IF for fat people. I have yet to see why that should be true from anyone who subposedly knows.

    Why doesn't IF serve to support the same function as no snacking? I mean eating primal means no junk and IF means either skip a day or window eating - either way you have lots of groovy downtime from food for your insides to get their shit together.
    The two constants in my life are a clean mind and dirty knees.


    Everything else is subject to change without notice.



  7. #7
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by DinosaurKisses View Post
    So that leaves me curious. Didn't you say back in the other thread that n=0 for you on the leptin do-over? Kinda curious why you're still supporting it and why you are sooooooo against IF for fat people. I have yet to see why that should be true from anyone who subposedly knows.

    Why doesn't IF serve to support the same function as no snacking? I mean eating primal means no junk and IF means either skip a day or window eating - either way you have lots of groovy downtime from food for your insides to get their shit together.
    Direct quote from Dr Kruse-
    "IF is a terrible idea if you are leptin resistant."

    Read the IF sites and threads. No one else ever brings this up. IF caught on among fitness types and it worked for them to shave off those last percentages of body fat, and they love it, then it spreads around like it's for everyone. I'm just trying help keep things in balance a bit!

  8. #8
    chima_p's Avatar
    chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by DinosaurKisses View Post
    So that leaves me curious. Didn't you say back in the other thread that n=0 for you on the leptin do-over? Kinda curious why you're still supporting it and why you are sooooooo against IF for fat people. I have yet to see why that should be true from anyone who subposedly knows.

    Why doesn't IF serve to support the same function as no snacking? I mean eating primal means no junk and IF means either skip a day or window eating - either way you have lots of groovy downtime from food for your insides to get their shit together.

    Also, I think everybody has a different view on what an IF means. Dr. K believes that IF is a horrible idea for an obese person yet advocates skipping lunch if your not hungry. So if I eat at my first meal at 5:00am and am not hungry until 6-7:00pm, why is that not a fast? Is 14 hours to short? Because you had breakfast? Circadian rythm?

  9. #9
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Direct quote from Dr Kruse-
    "IF is a terrible idea if you are leptin resistant."

    Read the IF sites and threads. No one else ever brings this up. IF caught on among fitness types and it worked for them to shave off those last percentages of body fat, and they love it, then it spreads around like it's for everyone. I'm just trying help keep things in balance a bit!
    Everything I've read seems to indicate that IF isn't a beginner move, unless your starting point is only 10lbs over where you want to be and everything else is dialed in. Thanks for the agreement here.

  10. #10
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Everything I've read seems to indicate that IF isn't a beginner move, unless your starting point is only 10lbs over where you want to be and everything else is dialed in. Thanks for the agreement here.
    High five on that one.

    Even drug companies are required to speak "the fine print" in TV ads. No such constraints exist for internet advice. We just need to realize where these different approaches come from and who should be doing them. IF blew it as far as this goes, no doubt about it. That is no reason for people to get all defensive and angry when someone points this out. It just is what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •