Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great appetite suppressant: Black Tea page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

I've been putzing with black tea. I had a fair amount when I moved from Denver to The Bayou. It was bulk tea from an Asian food store. Something like $4 for, um, uh, a large container. Not your $3 for a few tea bags from the grocery store.

Anyway, I've found another local source and after more experiments I can say without qualification that black tea is a good appetite suppressant.

After breakfast I'm making up a pot, something like a dozen bags (this batch isn't bulk) in maybe a quart or a quart and a half of water. Boil the water, throw in the tea, steep. I drink it through the afternoon.

Here it is, 6:30PM and even though I fixed dinner for The Olde Folks At Home, all I really want is a salad. (Big, bad ass, yes!) I don't have any compulsion to do the little thin steaks I served them.

Get the tea from an Asian market.

Research I've done indicates that the results come from not only caffeine, but the theobromine that tea is heavy with. Further, just like epinephrine, the banned weight loss drug, there is more going on here than just a jacked up metabolism. Epinephrine and theobromine have effects at the hormonal level, too.

For me, here's a solution to "eatertainment" or Food Boredom. It's cheap, it's natural, what not to like?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Sounds good, OTB.

I'm making a pot right now :-D

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

Another great place to get tea is Teavana. A little more expensive but the quality is assured.

"The quality is assured?"

It's tea. Or not, I guess. Can't beat the local Asian market. Four dollars for a hundred tea bags. What's to not love?

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

What's not to love is toxic levels of flouride. The tea plant is a natural collector of flouride and holds it in it's leaves after sucking it out of the soil that is saturated in it from pesticides. Also the older the leaves (cheaper tea) the more flouride in it. Organic tea is much better and white tea would be the best since it is usually just the newest leaves of the plant. I really wouldn't trust cheap tea. Google it a bit and you'll find all sorts of stuff on it.

On a different note though, I totally know what you mean about tea killing the appetite. I find though that I get just as much of that effect from herbal as real tea. I think it is just the warm tasty goodness going down that makes me relax and not want anything else. Kombucha tea will really kill an appetite too. I could be absolutely starving and shaking from lack of food and a glass of kombucha and I'm good to go for several more hours.

misathemeb is offline Member

i have a great blend from teavana...rooibos chai mixed with mate vana so effing good! i also order my leaf tea from adagio.com

syzchan is offline Member

I haven't tried tea for appetite suppression since SAD, and back then it seem to induce a hypoglycemic-like lightheadedness. Gonna give it a try tomorrow and see if I can do an extended fast! =)

PaleoMom, don't buy any Florida winter vegetables if fluoride is a concern of yours. Or beef, or dairy. It's as natural as anything is. Large amounts are in many of our soils here.

The way that "they" found out fluoride was good for your teeth was observing all the Florida crackers that had unusually good teeth way back when.

I know of no connection between pesticides and fluoride. Which, as noted, is not toxic in normal amounts. If I'm whistling in the dark here, give me some cites......

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

"The quality is assured?"

It's tea. Or not, I guess. Can't beat the local Asian market. Four dollars for a hundred tea bags. What's to not love?

It's about where the tea came from, how it was processed, how fresh it is, etc.

I've been a semi-tea connoisseur for about a year now. I've tried multiple brands of tea, bagged and loose leaf. I firmly believe loose leaf is superior - it's fresher and isn't chopped up, which dissipates a lot of the flavor.

Plus, Teavana has so many different types of tea, rooibos, and herbal blends. Tealuxe too. There are many tea resources on the internet, particularly for green tea. I suppose for a casual drinker, tea is tea! No argument here.

"I suppose for a casual drinker, tea is tea! No argument here."

That's me. Just drinking it for the appetite suppression. Cheaper is better!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast