Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sausages better for you than we originally thought? page 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As a celiac, I can tell you that a LOT of sausages contain gluten, and I'm not trusting any of them that aren't either certified gluten free or made by someone I can personally trust to make sure they are. I can and have become quite ill by just trusting that "all sausage is grain free". It's not, and believing so will make someone with my condition sick.

As for meatloaf, I use almond meal in mine, plus an extra egg. The bread crumbs in meatloaf are more for moisture retention than for binding anyhow. If you use some ground pork in your meat mixture, you'll get a more moist meatloaf, but the almond flour is a nice addition, especially for those who don't eat pork.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    What I would love a recipe for is a meatloaf without grains!
    Meat, Garlic, Salt & Pepper to taste, Tomato Paste, and Eggs. Lots of eggs. I use 4 for every pound of meat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, maybe I try 1/2 cup quark and 1/2 cup tomato paste in the 'dough' & increase the eggs to 2. I find that quark adds the same moisteness to the ground beef that the pork would. I am out of our grass-fed ground pork, so I want to do beef + turkey (love that combo in meatballs). Gotta try it tomorrow! Now, I am REALLY craving it!

davem is offline Senior Member
    I'd play with it, make it up, split the batch down, bake one made normally, and the other batch I would stick in the freezer for a half hour, and then beat in the KA with the paddle for about 5 minutes, then bake the splits together and see what happens texturally.

I would say both should be just fine, the beaten one might have a better bind and finer tooth texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Okay, I see the difference now.

I do not have a food processor, but I have a KA stand mixer.
    I want to try the following for the meatloaf - a modification of my meatball mix:

1# each of ground beef & el turkey
    1 egg
    1/2 - 1 cup quark
    ~ 2 tbsp pureed onion, garlic and herbs
    ground binding mix: spices with a handful of nuts and dry shiitake mushrooms ~ 1/2 cup ground
    top with tomato paste+ liquid smoke + sliced almonds

Will that have a chance to hold together after baking or will it likely fall appart?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Sometimes, I'll get a whole whitetail deer that I've shot made entirely into sausage. Especially if it's an older deer and probably lean and tough. Straight from the forest to the local butcher to my plate. Just finished eating a few links of jalopeno chedder deer sausage for lunch =D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123