Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you explain IF to loved ones page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been having just 1 meal per day the last 4 days or eating in a 4-5 hour window, not intended as a planned IF, but because of my heartburn, I just didn't feel like eating. My mother is VERY concerned about my fasts. She's visiting me now and leaves tomorrow and is extremely anxious. She thinks I'm starving myself. She supports my PB WOE (although she's not following it herself ) but she doesn't get IF. She's been encouraging me to smaller meals at regular intervals. So how did/do you explain your IFs to your family?

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Well, my OH isn't eating primally but has seen the results of my new WOE - the completely new wardrobe of smaller clothes, the better complexion, more energy and the fact that I stuck to it throughout my back injury rcovery - I would have gone back to CW or eating rubbish before.

My mum has been relatively supportive, since she suffers with a gluten intolerance (not as bad as mine, but still), so she gets it. And as a kid, we always ate lots of red meat and veg, but just with the carbs as well.

I'm not sure if that's helped at all, especially as the issue seems to be the number of meals versus what they consist of. I hope someone else can be a bit more useful!

Hope your heartburn improves. I have realised that drinking black coffee does that to me, so that's going to be very occasional now (I cut it completely at the beginning).

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I just say I eat when I'm hungry. I'm truly not hungry more than once or twice a day. I reassure my loved ones that I do not make myself suffer, and if I'm hungry, I always eat something.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I don't suppose the argument that humans thrived for millions of years in a dynamic environment where 3 square meals a day were never guaranteed and seldom had would carry much weight with a mother.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

No, Primalchild, with most mothers that wouldn't hold much weight. Mothers generally rule with their emotions. Interestingly enough, though, I'm kind of the matriarch in my own family, but with a primal mindset, and I'd totally understand an IF tendency. I've always been one of those people who, when I feel badly, tend to fast. When I have the flu, I can fast for at least two days, and I've always questioned those who want to eat when they're sick.

My 3 daughters and my OH always worry when I don't want to eat. It's kind of comforting, on the one hand, as they'd never let me starve, but geez people! If I don't want to eat, I simply don't want to eat!

It will pass, maba, it will pass. I feel very sorry for you, as I know very well how horrible heartburn can be. I hope you feel very better soon!

Griff is offline Senior Member

I just say "I'm not hungry right now. I'll eat when I'm hungry."

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

nina_70 Guest

I think w/ mom's there's probably not much you can do. Mom's will ALWAYS worry about you eating enough (esp. Indian moms...I've had lots of Indian "aunties" and they were always worrying if I was eating enough, no matter what my size). It's because they care, of course, so emotionally I understand. Sorry I don't have better advice...

misathemeb is offline Member

good luck on this one! i eat 2 big and 1 small meal a day but when i went home over turkey break with my family i was eating 2 meals big breakfast and then dinner.

i think it worried my parents but i wasn't hungry and i'm not going to "force" food down my throat. PB makes you so much more sensitive to hunger signals, that's what i listen to and my GI issues are completely gone now. maybe have a light snack and then your big meal or shorten the fast a little until she eases up?

JamieBelle is offline Member

I've explained enough to people about how much I'm eating on a regular basis, and that a fast once in a while helps by resetting your digestive system. They at least act like they get it. I haven't run into a problem yet. When I tell people that I eat eggs and bacon all weekend, they don't worry about me skipping a day here and there.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

For me personally, I would not IF around my family. I don't want to hear the comments about it so I would refrain for the few days that I see them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast