Thread: The line between "Slow and Long" and "Chronic Cardio"? page

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member

The line between "Slow and Long" and "Chronic Cardio"?

Shop Now
    Hello all,

I am a former triathlete, stopping last year and never really having the will to get back into it for this season. (I can especially relate to Mr Sisson's pages about how that kind of training can make you pretty miserable) With all of this said, I am having a hard time delineating between my long and slow faus-workouts and my old "chronic cardio". Does a quick walk qualify for someone in decent fitness? A slow jog would seem to put me over.....I also do a lot of swimming, light cycling, surfing, etc...I guess that how does one tell if you are working too hard, thus depleting glycogen rather than burning fat? I have noticed that I tend to slowly ramp up until I am likely going too hard...so how do you find the slow burn zone?

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    You have to try to keep your heart rate between 55-75% of max. I find, when walking with my wife, it's just fast enough that holding hands is no longer comfortable as the arm swing becomes too great. We are able to converse nicely though.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    For a trained athlete, long and slow might be different than for the average person. Mark suggests 60-70% of max heartrate for most folks, but notes that very fit athletes may be in the 70-80% range.

Dear Mark: Chronic Cardio | Mark's Daily Apple

I seem to recall a more in-depth discussion in the book but have loaned it out at the moment. Anyone?

edited to add: for a highly trained, fit person, a slow jog *might* count
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I would do a slow job for my move slowly. Running slowly hurts more than running fast. Walking is still the king.