Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unrefined palm oil page

PlaydohYeti is offline Member

Unrefined palm oil

Hi,

I tried this for the first time recently expecting it to taste something like the clear stuff you'd find in peanut butter. Ha, big mistake! It's absolutely revolting, which is a real shame because it's one of the few fats that doesn't trigger my migraine aura symptoms or brain fog.

Anyway I was wondering if there's any way to make it more palatable. Does heating neutralise it at all? Maybe I can perform an exorcism to make it fit for human consumption?

rayout is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the odor goes away - it is a unique taste so make sure the recipe you are using it in is designed for it. Maybe look up some recipes from Ghana which uses alot of the stuff.

I had good luck frying some garlic and pepper marinated chicken thighs in it with onions, the tastes melded together.

I tried frying liver in it but the taste didn't work out as well.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Recipes from Ghana? Shito paste? Awesome! I didn't know they used a lot of palm oil. Shito paste will take the taste and smell away from anything! It's basically, chillis and shrimp.

Some foods just go together

peril is offline Senior Member
    I like it. my current breakfast curry is chicken hearts and liver cooked in palm oil. Palm oil has a distinctive taste but in no way is it unpleasant. Like many different tastes, it can take a little to grow on you. And the stuff is so damned good for you that it is worth a bit of persistence
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I use an organic red palm oil in my italian salad dressing mix. I don't actually taste a difference, although it sure has a ton of pigment! I like using it instead of olive oil though, so I don't overdose on the O-6's.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Red palm oil is gross by itself, IMO, but I've found a few thing it tastes good with.

1. Mash it into a sweet potato (the same way you'd otherwise use butter). The flavor goes perfectly well with the sweet potato's flavor. (Bonus: add a little cumin as well.)

2. Use it in a salad dressing. Instead of 1 part vinegar to 4 parts olive oil, use 1 part vinegar to 2 parts olive oil and 2 parts palm oil. It gives it a sharper, edgier flavor than just olive oil, but I like it.

3. Use it to fry your vegetable fritters in.

4. Add a teaspoon of it to a serving of soup. It should go with just about any soup.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    The best way to improve the flavor of red palm oil: Eat more of it!

It was a bit offputting when I first got some, now I'm all about eating a scoop of it solo every once and a while.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Thanks for all the tips. Real recipes are a tricky area for me because I have so many food intolerances and migraine aura triggers, though I could tweak a few of your ideas and give them a go. I cook all these elaborate meals for my family and then throw a few raw ingredients in the microwave and nuke them with a bit of added fat for myself.

The only solution I came up with myself was to eat the stuff medicinally by the spoonful and then wash my mouth out with bleach and holy water before eating something more palatable to take the taste away. Well I did actually consider using it to lubricate my bike chain - I wonder if I'd still get the same nutritional benefits. Hmm...

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Coconut oil is very similar in fat composition, have you not tried it? Also, the Perfect Health Diet website has some good information on ketogenic dieting to treat migraines. Migraines / Headaches | Perfect Health Diet

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, I seem to do really well on coconut oil, creamed coconut and additive free coconut milk. It tastes so good it's hard to believe it's so healthy. The only bad experience I've had with coconut products involved the very fine flour. I gather that was because it was highly processed/bleached - it looked like freshly fallen snow it was so white which should have made me suspicious, but I was fooled by the 100% coconut ingredients list. Technically true, though that hardly tells the full story.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to put some time aside tomorrow to delve into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast