So I had a spare celery root on hand and I didn't have many options as to what to do with it, so I set out today to throw it into a recipe so it wouldn't go to waste. So I went through my mother's recipe cards and found one I thought could be easily turned primal: steamed mussels with aioli. I must say, it turned out pretty great! Probably the best seafood meal I've ever eaten next to a few crab entrees. I wish I had pictures, but I don't own a camera other than the one of my cheap cell phone. So here it goes:

Primal Steamed Mussles with Aioli
Preparation time: About 45 minutes.

Aioli

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon of hot water
  • 2/3 cup of Primal Mayonaise
  • 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation:
Whisk all ingredients together in bowl until smooth. Season to taste with salt. Cover and refrigerate until mussels are steamed.

Mussels

Ingredients:
  • 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 green onions (green parts only), thinly chopped
  • 1 large celery root, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 6 tablespoons of fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 pounds of mussels, scrubbed and debearded
  • 1 1/2 cups of white wine

Preparation:
Chop all vegetables as needed and set aside. Keep minced garlic separate from the rest of the stock. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add green onions, celery root, celery stalks, carrots, and parsley to the oil. Stir until vegetables are coated in a thin layer of oil. Cover pot and cook until vegetables begin to blacken, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, stir, and cook for another minute. Add the white wine to mixture and then carefully add mussels into the pot. Increase the temperature to high and cover again. Let steam 5-7 minutes, or until mussels open. Remove from heat and uncover pot.

Using a ladle, scoop out 2/3 of a cup of the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Whisk the liquid together with the aioli until smooth. Transfer mussels to a plate or bowl and drizzle with aioli as desired.