Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight? (belly) page

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member

Gaining weight? (belly)

Shop Now
    About 45 days in.

I'm getting stronger, that's for sure. And I do see a good deal of definition in arms and legs.

But it's my "gut" that has me worried. Although I have lost a bit in my face and chest, it seems as if my belly is growing "out" some. Clothes are definitely not fitting looser.

Now I'll admit I'm not 100% primal in my eating, but about 70/30.

But I'm getting worried that I'm doing more harm than good. It doesn't make sense, because in the past, when I went low-carb/ "slow-carb" in the past, (brown rice with lean protein), I was losing weight. This is supposed to be even better.

Wondering if I'm doing this drastically wrong, and getting a little panicked-- and a good deal frustrated.

is there any chance my abdominals are getting stronger and pushing my belly out some? Because I definitely am seeing more muscle mass and definition elsewhere.

Sticking to primal workouts 100%-- moving slowly, sprinting a couple of times a week, and LHT once or twice a week.

Saw my belly going down the first few weeks, but it's "fighting back."

Help!

Anyone who had success experience this? Is this inflammation?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    70/30 isn't exactly optimal.

What's your 30%?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    70/30 isn't exactly optimal.

What's your 30%?

Hi Rita,

It depends on the week- sometimes I'm 100% for 5 days, sometimes 70/30 for a few, etc. I meant I was 70/30 on my worst weeks.

I'll admit- part of the problem is as much as I've tried to explain the primal eating to my wife, she doesn't understand. Yesterday it was an argument about eggs and cholesterol. She's so stuck on CW she won't listen or read the book or the research.. so at times, it's to keep the peace. Yes, I know that's my problem and I need to find a way to address it, but for now, that's my reason for not being 100%. I know- it's not an excuse. I want to "show" her my results, and part of the frustration is SHE is not seeing the changes very much, either.

Last night was the worst it gets, as far as un-primal, which was homemade fish soft-tacos with wheat soft tacos. Took it easy on the black beans. Fish cooked in a good deal of olive oil, homemade guacamole, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and chiles. Not a terribly un-healthy meal, but not exactly primal either.

Usually, my "plants" are home-cooked collard greens.. with a little vinegar, grass-fed butter, and some siracha. I'll have it with a no-bun burger and some avocado. I'd say that's a typical dinner. Mornings are an egg or two cooked in coconut oil with some low-sodium bacon. For lunch, I'll have a big salad with carne asada steak, guac, tomatoes, etc (Salsarita's).

I'm IF'ing here and there.
    Last edited by astronmr20; 07-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.

The beans and the grains are going to cause problems, even if it's just a little. Your body is still healing. Try going completely without for at least a month and see if that helps. They can cause pretty serious bloating.

After a while, you won't even want them. My boyfriend isn't Primal either, but he's pretty supportive. The thing is, it's up to you to eat what you should and pass on the stuff you shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The beans and the grains are going to cause problems, even if it's just a little. Your body is still healing. Try going completely without for at least a month and see if that helps. They can cause pretty serious bloating.

After a while, you won't even want them. My boyfriend isn't Primal either, but he's pretty supportive. The thing is, it's up to you to eat what you should and pass on the stuff you shouldn't.
    Thanks,

Actually the beans were a one-time thing.

However, yes, it makes sense to take the 30-day 100% challenge- and I remembered something else-- I still take coffee a few times a week, with half-and-half, and at least once a week it's with sugar instead of honey. Caffene and/or the sweet could be a trigger. ?

I caught this article a few days ago:

Coffee may aggravate blood sugar spikes after fatty meals | Weight Control | Weight Loss | Healthy Weight at WeightControl.com

Coffee may aggravate blood sugar spikes after fatty meals
    Posted on April 2, 2011 by weightcontrol
    Eating a fatty fast food meal is never good for you, but washing that meal down with a coffee is even worse, according to a new University of Guelph study.

The thing is, at this point it could be just about anything. If you go cleaner-than-clean for a month, then you can start adding the "maybe" things back in, if you find they're still important to you anyway. At that point, your body will probably give some pretty clear signals as to what the problem foods are.

muzz is offline Junior Member
    I think its really interesting and complex the way the body reacts to different foods. I saw some differences early on (I am 5'10, was 12 st 11 and now 11st 11) stronger more definition, but also have a little too much around the belly area. i dont touch bread, potato, grains or pasta. but i will have some chocolate (bars of the bad stuff) every now and again just to stop the cravings, that is getting less now though.

mondawg is offline Senior Member
    I experienced this also, and I did some research. I came across this:

"Unfortunately, your body will not start working efficiently the moment you improve your habits. As previously stated, you did not damage your metabolism overnight, and you will not heal it overnight. During the healing phase, you are still hormonally out of balance.

As your body begins to correct this imbalance, you may experience any number of disturbing symptoms. (The SPII individual program for your current metabolism type is designed to make your transition easier by minimizing these disturbing symptoms.)

For example, as your adrenaline/cortisol levels drop, you may feel withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, irritability and depression. As your insulin levels rise, you may gain fat weight and/or experience salt and water retention.

The more damaged your current metabolism is, the longer you will need to stay in the healing phase and the more fat your body produces. In fact, as your ratio of insulin to adrenaline/cortisol increases, your symptoms will worsen."

from the Schwarzbein Principle, The Schwarzbein Principle - The Schwarzbein Program - Read More

So Moon,

The gist is to "stick with it?"

mondawg is offline Senior Member
    definitely!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast