Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Spartan Race (sprint) page

Patrick is offline Senior Member

Ottawa Spartan Race (sprint)

Primal Fuel
    Hi, all. For anyone interested, I just wrote up a blog post about my experiences participating in yesterday's Spartan Race in Ottawa. (Contains obstacle "spoilers." That said, there's no mention of things that you won't have seen already if you've watched official venue and promo videos.)

Of Mud and Barbed Wire « The Primal Mind
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Good on your for getting through that gruelling race! I was very impressed by the clip. I assume your clothes will be infit for future service.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Actually, I ran my shorts through the shower, hung 'em up for an hour or two and they were good to go. Wore my VFFs straight away after the race after sloshing them through water. I just wore 'em dry on my way to my friend's BBQ after the race.

Today I'm showing some bruises, cuts and scrapes, though. My ribs are scraped, my knees are scraped, my forearms are scraped up, I've got cuts on my lower legs from where my feet came up during some of the barbed wire portions, I've got a bruise on my bicep (no idea how) and my hip. . . . No sunburn, though! Go go Gadget nature's sunscreen (mud)! To be honest, sunburn and dehydration were my biggest concerns with 98 F heat and 95% humidity.

Any Spartan Race events coming to eastern PA, Digby?

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Patrick, that's awesome! I think this needs to go as a 'success story'!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thanks, Belinda, but I don't feel I'm quite there yet! But soon, I hope.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Any Spartan Race events coming to eastern PA, Digby?

I see there are at least a couple on Sept. 10th; one in Allentown and one up at Blue Mountain in the Poconos (popular ski area, very rough terrain). Come on down! I am in no way in the kind of shape for such a race, but I'd enjoy watching.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    looks awesome! nice to see so many women in the race as well. i'd love to do something like that someday, minus the heat. i seriously do not take the heat well.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Digby: You'd be surprised! You should find a few others and make a "we're doing this to finish it, not for time" pact with them. That's what Dan and I did. Screw time. Have fun and kick ass. End the day with a face-splitting smile and a beer.

Saoirse: Yeah, there were quite a lot of women, and a lot of all-female teams! Not only a great thing from a feminist/equality standpoint, but damn. . . . Yeah, I'll just leave it at that.

Matthew: Thanks, man! There are some Spartan Race events in the UK. You thinking of hitting any of 'em up?

Here are a few pics of Dan and I. Official photos not up yet and probably won't be for another 3-4 weeks.

Dan & me (pre-stream)
    Me (too tired to even try to look photo-friendly)
    Me (post-stream)

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is it okay to skip a part you can't do, like hoist oneself up a rope? I have lousy upper body strength. I can walk 50miles, but can't pull up yet.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast