Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight GAIN?! page

d2mini is offline Senior Member

Weight GAIN?!

Primal Fuel
    I started 6 months ago at 170lbs (5'8") and was now down to 153. It's been a struggle to lose that last 5lbs (need to get below 150), probably a half lb a month at this point. Pretty much expected. Well this last week i gained 2 lbs! And nothing has changed, diet wise! I figured when i gained the first lb it was just water weight from a couple extra carbs or something but expected it to drop back down. Now it's up another lb! I haven't been at this weight in a couple months.

wtf?
    Last edited by d2mini; 07-04-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    -dennis

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    First, throw away your scale.

Then post some details of what your diet, exercise, sleep, etc, so that we can offer suggestions.

Why I would go from slowly losing to quickly gaining when diet, exercise, sleep, etc has been the same?
    The scale has been a good, consistent indicator of progress because I have yet to start strength building.
    I know the rule is to throw it out, but for me it's been a valuable tool that has kept me motivated. I didn't start off at 300lbs where I could see big gains in the way my clothes fit. A 1/2 lb either way is a big deal for me.
    -dennis

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Unless the weight gain is a fluke, what you are likely dealing with is the body adaptation. Generally, as you stick to the same activity level, your body becomes more and more effcient at doing the same tasks, and thus burns less calories to perform the same activity. That is why intervals and heavy lifting is so much more superior to the long distance steady-state locomotion/cardio. So, your answer is in increasing the intensity of your activities or adding that strength training you are thinking about.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    It's debatable whether exercise will help you to lose weight, it's never been scientifically proved. My suggestion would be to take a closer look at what you're eating from a macronutrient level.

Ya, if exercise has to do with it... i am about to finally start weigh training in a couple weeks. Was hoping I could fend off any weight (fat) gain until then!
    Meanwhile I've been continuing my mtn bike rides a few times per week.

Diet wise, i'm wondering if I should up my veggie intake and lower my fatty protein intake, eating more lean proteins instead. Hmmm...

If the body adaptation thing is true, wouldn't that mean that none of us would be able to stay lean unless we continually increased activity level? Which at some point would be impossible.
    -dennis

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    what works when youre losing weight isnt the same thing tat works once youve lost weight....

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    If the body adaptation thing is true, wouldn't that mean that none of us would be able to stay lean unless we continually increased activity level? Which at some point would be impossible.
    It's not adapting to the level of activity, it's adapting to the activity itself.

I walk between 5 and 20 miles a day for a living, 6 days a week. After 4 years, I don't burn anywhere near the amount of calories as I used to, or even what a normal person would. My body has found kind of an economy of movement. Now if I run, my body thinks "WTH is this!" and I burn more calories than someone that does it regularly.

Switching up your workouts every month or two helps keep your body guessing and using muscles in different ways.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    Y
    Diet wise, i'm wondering if I should up my veggie intake and lower my fatty protein intake, eating more lean proteins instead. Hmmm...
    That kind of strategy does not work. Weight gain/loss has nothing to do with calories. What it has to do with is how much carbohydrate you eat. Check through this:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

Who are the heaviest sportsmen in the world? The Sumo wrestlers of Japan. The top rank wrestlers eat about 14% of their calories as fat. That's lower than even most low-fat diets would recommend. That's why they're so fat: because their corresponding carbohydrate intake is, of course, larger. Second-rank Sumo wrestlers, who have somewhat less muscle but even more fat on them eat about 9% of their calories in the form of fat.

At the opposite extreme we have the Maasai Moran. They have one of the highest percentage of fat in any recorded diet. Look at them. They're rail thin:

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This seems like a very odd post...freaking out over a 2 lb weight gain in a week?
    Why do you "need to get below 150"?

My guess is that your body adapts so when you when you want to burn more to reach a goal, cut fruits, dairy and just keep to meat and veggies for a bit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast