Thread: Tips for a backpacker? page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Tips for a backpacker?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ..Hey!

I'm going on a backpacking trip in a months time and I'm looking for some nutrition info before I go. I've no set return date, but imagine I'll be away for a couple of months minimum, basically when my money starts to run low. I'll return home then.

..I'd like to go for as long as possible though, so my daily food budget will be low.

I'm working on a list of cheap foods and I'll post it at some point, but the first thing that came to mind was carbs. Should I increase them if I'm on the move all day? I'll be doing lots of walking and hiking, carrying a heavy backpack with all my kit, so high calorie food's will be important.

I've found out I can get - from 100 grams shredded coconut - 600 calories (62 grams of fat, 53 grams saturated), for just 40p, so if good fat is that cheap is there still a need for carbohydrate? Since switching to a fat diet I can go many hours without food and still be up for a workout, whereas I used to get hungry two hours after my oatmeal and OJ, even if I was sitting on my butt.

I read that carbs and fat don't go well together either, and that it's best to choose one and exclude the other. Is this true??

Thanks for reading and for replies!

Randall

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I too am backpacking and would be interested in what is said.

But to be honest two months is a short period of your life and I wouldnt worry about it. You travel to try new things and I will be taking this to the extreme (eating insect dishes etc!)

Just eat real food where possible. We all know what real food means. I may take some omega three supp. but when you relocate it can take months to adjust to your new food supply, theres no point fretting about it just enjoy your travels. Like me
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Learn the local edibles that you'll encounter and bring a shotgun or some other kind of weapon. Free food.

Local Edibles by State

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Learn to forage and hunt :P
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Learn the local edibles that you'll encounter and bring a shotgun or some other kind of weapon. Free food.

Local Edibles by State
    cool beans!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I tip at least 10%, 15 if the hike was good.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    I read that carbs and fat don't go well together either, and that it's best to choose one and exclude the other. Is this true??
    Choose one and limit the other, maybe. Carbs in limited amounts are good for you. 600 calories per day should be no problem.

Gordo