Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heartburn won't go away :( page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been having heartburn since last week. It started when we ate out at an Ethiopian place. I had some wheat-based stuff and the bread (Injera), traditionally made with fermented teff flour, but this could have been made with All-Purpose flour, not sure. My heartburn began that night and I've been having it everyday since then. I haven't had coffee in 5 days, drastically cut down dairy and it doesn't seem to have any effect. Not sure if it was the food at that restaurant, but that's when it started I took a spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar this morning. Any tips or remedies? Anything I need to eliminate from my Primal diet? If it persists, I think I'll go see a naturopath next week. I know my PCP will give me Proton Pump Inhibitors.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

You might be interested in this article from Dr. Eades at http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/supplements/protexid-and-protexid-nd-and-adventures-in-dr/

I have had heartburn for the last 25 years, which caused a lot of damage to my esophagus leading to gastroparesis (https://health.google.com/health/ref/Gastroparesis). I finally began taking Nexium, and then switched to OTC Prilosec, and the heartburn went away. Because this medication greatly reduces stomach acid, I'm always worried that I'm not digesting food properly, not getting the nutrients I should.

Since going primal at the end of August, I've managed to cut my dosage in half, and I'm slowly trying to eliminate the Prilosec completely. So far, so good.

Dr. Eades pills apparently work by helping to heal the lower esophageal sphincter, rather than reducing stomach acid. He's giving them away free until his supply runs out (2 bottles per person). I ordered two yesterday, not sure how long the supply will last.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

maba,

I don't have any remedies, but just wanted you to know I'm sending along some good, healing energy.

Hope you feel better, soon <3

Shine is offline Member

I used to suffer from chronic heartburn for years as a result of excessive drinking, and was prescribed Prilosec after an upper GI endoscopy. (Taking medication for a symptom instead of conquering the underlying problem... *facepalm*)

Vinegar would only exacerbate my symptoms. I remember yogurt would provide some relief, but I know that dairy is generally discouraged with stomach issues. Nonetheless, perhaps a bit of nice thick greek yogurt could help.

Have you tried any of the "mechanical" solutions? Try eating smaller meals, and avoid any sort of activity for one hour after eating. Never lie down after eating, and try propping yourself up on extra pillows if heartburn is keeping you up at night.

Hope you feel better!

Sharonll, I just read Dr.Eades post and almost ordered it when I realized that the lower-dose one expires in December. Would it be effective still? Thanks for the link. I can so relate to Dr.Eades post. I&#39;m fine as long as I stick to my diet but once I stray, the after effects remain for some time.

Kuno, Thank you so much for the good thoughts <3

my_second Guest

Have you tried pepto-bismol? That thing cures pretty much anything...

Shine, much against my mum&#39;s advice, I took the vinegar this morning, she said it would only exacerbate it, she was right. Also the last 4 days, I&#39;ve been eating large meals in the evening during a 4-5 hour window after a day of IFing. Yoghurt diluted with water is a popular remedy where I come from (India) for heartburn but I was trying to be as Primal as possible to see if the symtoms would go away and so avoided it. Thanks for all your suggestions. I&#39;ll have yoghurt w/ some ginger this evening to see if it reduces the heartburn. Thank you for your suggestions.

my_second, I&#39;m trying to see if it&#39;ll go away with natural remedies and change in diet before I take any OTC medicine.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I&#39;m not sure about the expiration factor; I noticed several posters asked about it on his site, but I rather doubt that the efficacy would be reduced.

Ok, will go ahead and order it then.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

maba, try to split your meals and make them smaller. Too much food in a stomack usually causes hartburn as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast