Thread: wanuts high pufa content? page

Dr.Gee is offline Junior Member

wanuts high pufa content?

Shop Now
    Walnuts are touted in the blueprint for their high O3 content. They are 47% pufa.sunflower seeds are less at 33%,yet sunflower oil is to be strictly avoided by the blueprint.what am I missing here?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I believe the reason Mark recommends cutting out high-PUFA oils is that the total amount of PUFA you get from them would typically be greater than the amount you get from eating the whole nut. Also, the PUFA in the oil is more fragile and easily oxidized than the fat stored in the nut. The extraction process may contribute to oxidation (if it involves high heat, solvents, etc).

I limit my intake of all nuts since they are all pretty high in PUFA. The omega-3 content is kind of a moot point since the body converts the plant-form of omega 3 (ALA: Alpha linoleic acid) into the active forms (EPA and DHA) pretty inefficiently (like ~8% or less if I recall correctly).

Hunt3R is offline Member
    What yodiewan said + eating nuts has other nutritional benefits that you don't get from just the oils. I may eat a handful a nuts a day myself, or none, but I usually stick to macademias because even though I believe that a high fat intake daily is necessary for optimal health, it also requires a low PUFA intake, and a handful of walnuts can skew that in the wrong direction. I aim for sub<5% total fat calories from PUFA's. Mark has a good writeup on nuts and omega-6 content: Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    theyre high in DHA, i eat them

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Walnuts are delicious, especially when you can get them in the shell. I have always noticeably felt better eating late harvest walnuts in the autumn. They--nuts generally-- would have been part of Grok's gatherings for sure.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Whole foods are almost, if not always better for you than an extraction of part of itself.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Walnuts are delicious, especially when you can get them in the shell. I have always noticeably felt better eating late harvest walnuts in the autumn. They--nuts generally-- would have been part of Grok's gatherings for sure.
    This is also a good way to put the brakes on overconsumption of nuts.