Thread: Celery Root page

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member

Celery Root

What the hell am I supposed to do with this? I went to the grocery store attempting to buy watercress for the first time. I didn't even know what watercress looked like; it was just in a recipe I wanted to try. The shelves at the grocery store mislabeled the celery root as watercress. So when I brought it home to cook in my "watercress" recipe, I realized my mistake. I identified the odd root online but I'm still bewildered as to what to do with this odd... thing...

It's not exactly a lamb shoulder.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Try this celery root soup: Silky Celery Root Soup | Mark's Daily Apple

I made it last fall, and it was amazing.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Health-bent.com makes them as a substitute for grits, here's one way they eat it: shrimp and groots | Health-Bent

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys! But I already cooked it up. Check out awesome meal I had here.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Eat raw. Your colon bacteria will love you.

Alternatively, if you like cream, slice the celeriac root thinly and use in a 'dauphinoise' recipe. Less gut friendly but more creative.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Chop off the greens. Eat some raw and see if you like it. You do? Great! Fry the greens in butter.

Meanwhile, peel and chop the root into cubes, boil and mash. Cook some greasy pork belly and place over the mash with the greens on top. Celeriac mash is better than mashed potatoes in my opinion. Add some mouli/daikon in (boiled and mashed) for a little extra kick.

EDIT: Dauphinoise (see above) is a great idea! Thanks You could probably do this with coconut milk if you're not into thick cream.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Cube it and saute it it with onions like you would home fried potatoes.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Either grate, or finely shred the celery root (celeriac), then mix it with the juice of a lemon to stop it browning. Take about 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise, add two desert spoons of dijon mustard, two tablespoons of finely chopped parsley and enough cream to thin this to a coating thickness. Add to the celeriac, mix and add salt and pepper to taste. Leave in the fridge for a coupe of hours while the flavours develop. This is wonderful served with good ham, or smoked mackerel, or salmon eggs, or grilled lamb chops - many ways to eat it.

And so gut - friendly!

I didn't even realize the roots grew like that or were edible. I guess I never thought about it.

Probably would have shared it with my rabbits myself. They like eating veggie meals with me.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There are 2 different kinds of celery breeds, one used for stalks and one used for roots. The stalk one has a smaller root and the root one has smaller and kind of limp stalks.