Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardio Compromise page

dfast is offline Member

Shop Now

Hi all.

I'm new here (first post, hurrah) and thought I'd start off with a question.

I'm slowly transitioning into a Primal lifestyle; currently eating around 70% Primal, switching up my old workout routine to include sprints and pull-ups / chin-ups in my local park, walking a lot more etc., but I still have one slight 'vice': steady-state cardio.

I used to hate cardio with a passion, however since buying a flat right near the sea in Brighton (UK), I've taken to going for 25-40 minute sessions along the seafront as the sun is coming up. It's almost like a form of meditation for me; I put my headphones on and just get lost in the waves and the smell of the sea and the sun rising - all very poetic! I do this maybe three times a week. Am I doing myself a disservice? Or is the relatively short length of these sessions nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Hello! I live in Brighton! Woohoo! I cycle along the seafront towards Ovingdean - along the Undercliff behind the Marina. I love that end, because it's so quiet...

I can't answer your question as I don't run, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Welcome, by the way!

dfast is offline Member

My flat is on the New Steine, so I run from there, down to the start of the pier and then to the Marina and back. It's pretty quiet at 6am! I love it though - really sets me up for the day.

Thanks for the welcome!

Geoff is offline Member

dfast - Welcome aboard! I'm "recovering" from years of chronic cardio, and I definitely understand where you're coming from. My sunrise beach runs in Florida were a wonderful and peaceful start to my day.

There's generally nothing wrong with "steady state" cardio, as long as it's done at a very moderate intensity. Mark describes low-level aerobic exercise as the "crucial base of the primal fitness."

If you aren't elevating your heart rate up to more than about 75% of your max heart rate (that is you really are taking it easy), and you aren't leaving yourself too tired for lifting and sprinting, and you're not suffering from injuries, then your beach sessions should be fine. If you're elevating your heart rate, craving carbs, or find it's cutting into the intensity of the effort you can apply to your lifting or sprinting workouts, then cut back the intensity of your beach sessions more.

Here's a blog post from Mark that you might find helpful

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healt...rate-exercise/

elbohead Guest

I too was a bit dismayed when I read about the need to drop the steady cardio in order to adopt the ideal primal lifestyle. Four to five mornings per week I like to run 3 to 4 miles at a nearby park as the sun rises. It takes 35 to 45 minutes, so I'm not exactly breaking any records! Just ten to ten and a half minute miles in my Vibram Five Fingers and I'm set for the day. I was able to achieve significant weight loss (35 lbs.) by combining the low carb, high protein diet with the running and have grown to love it.

I haven't answered your question. Seems I've only echoed it. I guess what I'm wondering is, how much is too much?

dfast is offline Member

Yes, that was my main concern I guess; how much IS too much? I don't ever feel drained or tired after I run, and I'm not doing it to achieve any particular goal (fat loss or to build endurance) - I just really enjoy it!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Sounds excellent!

jessher is offline Junior Member

It doesn't sound like your cardio is excessive. And if your new primal lifestyle requires you to give up something you love that brings you peace and that you thoroughly enjoy, then it's not worth it!

Everyone has to make their own version of primal based on their own needs and desires. If you love running and don't do it to the point that it requires huge changes to the primal diet, then DO IT. Especially if you have been running for awhile and your heart rate doesn't get very high when you do it.

Keep it under an hour and go easy. That IS primal. Enjoy!

dfast is offline Member

Thank you, Jessica - I really appreciate your reply. I certainly don't consider the running that I do excessive - heck, I don't even consider it exercise! I just wasn't sure how compatible it is with the other physical activities that I do, coupled with my diet.

Thank you for the reassurance.

Variance Guest

I feel exactly the same way. Getting up and running in the morning sets the tone for a peaceful, productive day for me. After reading the site a bunch (I'm new here) I'm pretty sure the thing Mark is trying to discourage is the multi-hour stuff like marathon running, etc. Having run two marathons, I feel like I can say there is a whole world of difference, and I am much happier still being able to run but on a reduced schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast