Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third time lucky in the UK page

ChivalryUK is offline Junior Member

Third time lucky in the UK

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi everyone

I'm a 23 year old male from England. I've been aware of the Primal Blueprint for about a year now, and am on my third proper attempt to stick to it. The first time was complicated by University (mostly getting pissed and then breaking my resolution ) and the second was never going to work as I was living with my Dad and Stepmum and was having food bought for me. I asked for turkey breasts and bags of salad to keep primal but there was no variety, and working long hours in London with a massive commute didn't help.

As well as this I've had countless attempts to lose weight over the years with calorie restriction, eating healthy according to conventional wisdom, and more. I'm not massively overweight, but I've been carrying around about two stone of extra flab since I was very young. Most people seeing me in the street wouldn't think of me as fat, I don't think, but I do get the occasional comment (always from mates funnily enough) and I know I'd feel a lot more confident walking down the street if I was lean, not to mention going swimming in a pool or at the beach which has always been a source of embarrassment.

My problem is compounded by the fact that I reckon I carry fat in unfortunate places, namely on my chest and hips (bad for a bloke!). As a result of this I feel very self-conscious when I'm out without a jacket on, and I can't wear tight-fitting clothes at all.

Now, however, I'm living on my own and have a job easily within cycling distance. I've been primal for only about a week so far but it already feels different; I just can't see why I'd fall off the wagon this time. There's no snackfood in the house to tempt me and I'm buying such a variety of good foods that I'm really enjoying every meal. Already I feel different: digestion problems are gone and I'm only eating when I'm hungry as opposed to when bored or craving or whatever. I had the usual feeling of depression, tiredness and headaches on the first day but since then I've felt great.

Sorry for the long post but the thought of posting up some before and after pics in the success stories forum is a real source of motivation for me so I thought I'd better introduce myself. Also if there are any other Primal people from the UK I'd be very interested to hear from you! Food sources are a bit different here than in America and I'd be keen to discuss it.

Cheers

Chivalry

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Hi I'm in uk too. Great that you can cycle to work. I'm jumping back on the wagon after a break too. What shops do you have near you?
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    You have a major advantage in being young and male, which means loads of growth hormone, so by being determined, you can get major results fast. Do a Whole 30, a month of strict primal--lay off any none primal carbs, minimal fruit, load up on a wide variety of protein, green veg, keep to berries and apples for your fruit, ditch dairy, except heavy cream, butter, plain greek yogurt, and you will lose probably a pound a day with that cycling. I envy your advantages, and wish I had found this way of eating when I was young. Learning to do it right now will set you up for life. Best of luck.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Silky: I have access to Asda, Waitrose and Tesco but I only shop at Asda currently. I try to keep my weekly shop under 30 which is easy when you eat poorly and harder when you're ordering a lot of meat and fresh veg! Is there any one supermarket you'd recommend over others? Asda is fine but you can't seem to get things like coconut oil or grass-fed meat

Digby: thanks I do feel really lucky to have found this lifestyle early in life. In a way I'm pleased I spent my teenage years overweight because if I'd been thin despite eating terribly like a lot of people I went to school with, I'd still be unhealthy now. I do stick pretty strictly to being completely primal: I don't eat any fruit other than berries and I buy the correct veg. I have a bit of milk in tea or coffee when I can't get cream but that's it on the dairy front, as well as, as you say, plain Greek yoghurt. I don't really know what heavy cream is, I use single cream in my coffee...I hope that's the same thing!

localad is offline Senior Member
    'Heavy' = 'double'
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Silky is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a waitrose or asda near me. I shop at tesco, co-op, M&s and farmers Market. What others recommend here is buying cheaper cuts of meat and cooking them in a slow cooker. Look out for special offers and cook up batches of food and freeze them. I got my coconut oil from a health food shop. I don't worry about getting 'grass fed' beef at moment. Someone on here told me that uk cows are fed on silage which contains hay and grasses so while not optimum, not too bad. It's with checking out the 'sell today' discount shelf as you can get some good bargains if you can use the food that day.

At my farmers Market I got 36 free range eggs for 6 that had been collected the day previously. They would be about twice that in supermarket so worth looking into what is on in your area.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChivalryUK View Post
    Silky: I have access to Asda, Waitrose and Tesco but I only shop at Asda currently. I try to keep my weekly shop under 30 which is easy when you eat poorly and harder when you're ordering a lot of meat and fresh veg! Is there any one supermarket you'd recommend over others? Asda is fine but you can't seem to get things like coconut oil or grass-fed meat

Digby: thanks I do feel really lucky to have found this lifestyle early in life. In a way I'm pleased I spent my teenage years overweight because if I'd been thin despite eating terribly like a lot of people I went to school with, I'd still be unhealthy now. I do stick pretty strictly to being completely primal: I don't eat any fruit other than berries and I buy the correct veg. I have a bit of milk in tea or coffee when I can't get cream but that's it on the dairy front, as well as, as you say, plain Greek yoghurt. I don't really know what heavy cream is, I use single cream in my coffee...I hope that's the same thing!
    Single cream is what people in the states call 1/2 &1/2 or light cream; heavy cream is same as double cream or whipping cream. Sounds like you are on the right track. Also, a brief journal of what you are doing is for me essential to keeping with anything. Reminds me when I felt awful, and how I feel when I'm on track. Grok on!
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

That's good to hear about British beef. Eggs, even free range, are very cheap in Asda so that's never a problem. There's a good market near where I live that I'll have to check out I think.

So is single cream not ideal? Should I get double?

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and good luck with this - I'm a Brit and I'm really happy I've changed over to this way of life.

Pork is really cheap atm (2/kg in Morrisons) so try roasting a joint and having the rest for cold.

I also make a "chilli" - mince, a couple of tins of tomatoes and some tomato and chilli puree - you can add any other stuff you fancy in at the same time. Again its cheap, tasty and tastes better the next day. Serve it with "cauliflower rice" (Grated cauliflower added into fried onions and stirred till hot - then let sit to take in the flavours but stay cruncy) 1 cauliflower can do 3-4 portions of "rice" so again cheap and easy.

I also use the cauliflower rice for chicken green thai curry - which is just chicken with a tin of coconut milk and green thai curry paste (again from Morrisons the brand I use has no additives but you need to check carefully as most do)

The great thing about cooking for 1 is that you only need to actually cook every couple of days and just alternate the left overs which saves time and makes food prep quick.

Personally I'm not a bacon and egg for breakfast person as I'm far too lazy to actually cook at that time of day - I just grab whatever cold meat is in the fridge and have that with a bit of salad when I'm first hungry.

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    Hi! Another UK primal here - I'm from Bradford, 'oop north.

When shopping, look out for Freedom Food - this is the RSPCA stamp and aside from the cruelty ethics will tend to be on meat that has been better reared. Pork, especially, since it is often heavily plumped with growth proteins.

Also, check out your local butcher and ask about meat from farms local to you - walk by and check them out to see if the animals are roaming the fields, chickens scratching and pecking for grubs ... that kind of thing. You may be surprised how many active farms there are near you, even if you live (or think you live) in a heavily urban area.

Good luck with your quest. To give you some encouragement, I started out somewhere ahead of 18 stone (I'm 6'2" ... and guessing the weight since I don't have scales, but did weigh myself recently at 18 stone bang on) and with nothing more than a diet chance and 2-3 miles of walking each evening I've dropped from an XXL size to XL, from a 40/42 waist to a 38, fitting with ease. That's in about 6 weeks. My physique is now good, but still more body fat to lose before I can wear tighter clothes without looking ridiculous.

See you around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast