Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: First day in, killer headache, but thats day one down! page 7

shifty1 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by HannahJohn View Post
    Thanks for sharing such a valuable information that shows us a good way to maintain ourselves and our health.
    Thanks HannahJohn....

Hope it helps in some way!

-Shifty

Day Thirty One :

I was toying whether to mention this in the posts or not, but I have been finding that when I have had very low carb intake days, I seem to be very emotional. Moody... Brooding... And since I have been tracking my food intake on fitday, I have really noticed that things have been fluctuating....

Today has been the darkest day I have had in the last ten years. Im not ashamed to say it, but by lunchtime, I was in my room and crying like a baby on my bed. And this is just not me! Before you say "Get your big boy pants on, and suck it up" I would agree with you, if there was a reason for me to feel like this. Its just something I have noticed, and others have commented on it to. Has anyone had any experience about this at all? Or am I just going crazy?

Today I tried something different and down a can of Coconut Milk after I woke up, to see if that would help get me started in the morning. All it did was make me feel sick! It was to much to fast! I will have to cut the coconut milk with something else before I drink it. After that, I thought I would be turned off Coconut forever.

I was good hunger wise till lunch, which was a small salad. In fact, I really didn't feel hungry at all, but I did grab some Protein Balls and a hand full of Cranberries after I hit the blues... I felt better after, just really came as a shock, and its something I don't want to do to often.

Dinner was some fried fish that was left over for me. It was nice, but after putting it into Fitday, I realise it blew me off my schedule, and into maintenance level, instead of Kinotosis. Allot of hard work, but then it gets blown for my appetite. Its time like these I wonder how I didn't put on more weight when I didn't check what I was eating.

So right now, Its been a huge day, I have a great throbbing headache (guess I didnt drink enough) about to teach a class room for teenagers how to make movies for youtube, a conference call and then a meeting with one of my teachers! But Im not hungry.

Todays count on Fitday : 135.9 grams of carbs. Fish and Protein Balls blew it for me! Have to make things up tomorrow! New day, new chances!

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know, especially with the mood swings I have been having! I am asking, and with around 900+ views, I know someone is lookking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Thirty One done! Day Thirty Two is coming up! This rocks!

Love you all... you just didn't know it!

-Shifty!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    People need different things to be healthy. I have not been tracking long enough to notice if lower carb is better for my moods or not, but some people find that they need to keep their carbs within a certain range to keep their mood stable. It may take some experimentation, but if you got that depressed, I would say that you've found your limit!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Day Thirty Two :

Alright! Long night, little sleep, and and early morning. Grabbed some cottage cheese this morning for breakfast and headed to class. Didnt beat the teacher, but I was there on time!

Lunch was a big green salad. I am loving onions, they seem to be the most flavourful vegetable around.

Was fine till around four pm, when I found myself starving! Since I started being Primal, I never found my hunger so out of control as it was today. I headed to the store, and ended up eating two tins of fish, one smoked mackerel, the other herring. Im not normally a fish guy, but this was amazing.

Dinner was some pieces of cheese and a hard boiled egg. Im still a little hungry, but I want to see if I can hold off and have a big breakfast. I'm thinking eggs and coconut milk! Got to give it a try!

Love some feedback about the mood stuff I wrote about yesterday. I did some research, but it was everywhere. I would love someone to share what they have experienced!

Todays count on Fitday : 38.9 grams of carbs at the time of writing this! Anyone know how long you have to be under 50 grams for kinotosis to kick in?

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know, especially with the mood swings I have been having! I am asking, and with around 900+ views, I know someone is lookking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Thirty Two done! Day Thirty Three is coming up! This rocks!

-Shifty!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    People need different things to be healthy. I have not been tracking long enough to notice if lower carb is better for my moods or not, but some people find that they need to keep their carbs within a certain range to keep their mood stable. It may take some experimentation, but if you got that depressed, I would say that you've found your limit!
    Hey Namless,

I dont think I was depressed, more like really moody! If I were depressed, I would think that I would still feel this way. Even with everything going on, I feel alot better. Maybe it was everything building, Im not sure, but after yesterday, everything started to feel better. Today was a very low carb day for me, so I will track the next 24 hours and see what comes up.

I hope its not linked, cause I am hitting being primal as hard as I can. (Well, maybe I should move a little more) Hate to have to slow up!

-Shifty!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I didn't mean you fell into a depression, as in an extended period of time, but you can still experience moments of depression. Learning to listen to your body is hard, I hope that you don't experience something like that again! Hopefully it was a one-time thing
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by annylove View Post
    It took us all a long time to get back home, and when dinner was served, it was chicken schnitzel. Now after going the last 5 hours with nothing more than a piece of watermelon and a few nuts, I cleared off the breading and ate the chicken. I guess it was not the best thing to have, but I tried my best to make it as primal as possible.
    I feel you Annylove. I personally love chicken schnitzel... and how much could some bread crumbs really affect us? Still I try to do my best! Otherwise, Im just letting myself down!

Grok on!

-Shifty!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I didn't mean you fell into a depression, as in an extended period of time, but you can still experience moments of depression. Learning to listen to your body is hard, I hope that you don't experience something like that again! Hopefully it was a one-time thing
    Understood Nameless... I hope it doesn't happen again as well. This came as a total surprise, but I must admit, I have felt great after. I guess our bodies release something when you have an emotional response, and I now feel like a million bucks. Must have let go of something! So far, have not felt that way at all. Especially since the low carb day yesterday!

-Shifty

Day Thirty Three :

Woke up with a killer headache. Felt like I had to get something into me quickly, so I grabbed a tin of Coconut milk, and added a raw egg, and a 1/4 teaspoon of coco. Closed up my tupperware box, and shock till the cows came home! This was a new brand of coconut milk, and it did not make me feel so ill. I drank half, and saved the other half for tomorrow morning! I knew I was in for a big day, so I wanted to get some fuel into me!

About 20 minutes later, I was out in the head lugging boxes of water up an down stairs. Today my class decided to give out free bottles of water out to visitors, with the message that "acts of random kindness change the world" We all handed out free bottles of water, and laughed when people would not take them on a 90 degree day. It made the point that most people will always think there is a catch, even when there isn't. Trust should be primal, and follow your instincts!

So I was on my feet all day, either handing water out, shooting photos, or recording what people thought. It was a long day, and I found myself taking it all in stride. When lunch was called, I wasn't hungry, so I sat down to two bowels of fish soup, simply to get some fluids into me. Im still stuck on eating on a schedule, and its going to take some time before I can get off that.

Around 5pm, I grabbed some more soup, and had my fill. It was refreshing and filling, and I only now realise how much I like soup!

I was not hungry, but dinnertime came around and I headed back into the kitchen to see what was on offer. I grabbed some cheese and two peaches, and that made up dinner. Again, due to access I have to eat when I can, as opposed to when I want. Again, this fridge would be great so I don't have to do that anymore!

Mood wise, I felt better than I have for weeks, and in fact sat down with someone who was concerned about me, and had a long chat about it. Like everyone, I am a work in progress but whatever was bothering me seemed to pass. Low carbs yesterday, but I seem to be fine today. Maybe it was not what I was eating?!?

I really need to get into exercising. I have been feeling the efforts I have been putting in and I want to see some results! This seems to be one hurdle I keep putting off...

Todays count on Fitday : 53.6 grams of carbs. Not to bad!

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1000+ views, I know someone is lookking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Thirty Three done! Day Thirty Four is almost here!

-Shifty!

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi -- I've browsed several of your posts and my biggest concern is that you are not eating enough! You seem totally focused on carbs (yes, you should keep your carbs low -- 50g or so for good weight loss and mild ketosis. But you need protein and fat to make up for it. It kind of looks like you are simply starving yourself. You should be taking in at least 1800 calories a day (and maybe a lot more) and I'm betting you are way low there. And you need a minimal amount of protein to maintain your muscle mass, or your body will destroy your own muscle to provide itself with needed protein for needed life processes. You should be eating at a minimum .5 grams of protein per pound of body weight each day. More is fine. If you eat 100 grams of protein a day (400 calories) and 50 grams of carbs (200 calories) that leaves a whole lot of fat calories (at 9 calories a gram.) And make them good fat calories -- virgin coconut oil is great. (You can just eat it straight -- a tablespoon at each meal would be okay if you don't cook with it instead.)

For now, I would recommend that you concentrate on keeping enough protein and plenty of fat (cream, butter, lard, coconut oil) in your diet and keeping a lid on the carbs. This will be tough with no meat for the next several days, but apparently you will still have eggs. So lots of eggs.

Plus -- your "Protein" balls are pretty much a dessert, without the protein. Nuts are not a great protein source, so think of them as a rare treat, not a standby meal replacement. Instead, you might see if there is any protein powder in the store -- Whey protein isolate will probably work best for you (it is of dairy origin tho.) You can also look for egg white protein. (Not soy protein!) Mix that with your coconut milk (and a little cocoa and stevia for sweetness if you like) and use a protein shake as a meal substitute.

Your massive headaches may easily be from lack of adequate calories/nutrition. In the heat you are working in, you should also consider water -- don't get dehydrated.

For now don't worry about losing weight. Don't worry about anything but making sure you are getting enough protein and fat so that you are not feeling sick/shakey/headachy nearly every day. Once you are humming along on a good Primal plan (and sorry, that is very little fruit on 50 carbs a day) and feeling good, Then and ONLY Then should you start adjusting you calorie intake/exercise program. For now walk and eat -- and learn to enjoy all that good, yummy fat that makes your body work properly (along with the protein.) The only thing it doesn't need is the carbs!

Good luck.

(PS When you get a chance, grab yourself a copy of Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. It has lots of good info on why you need fat and protein and why you don't need carbs. Good, solid science.)
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast