Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: First day in, killer headache, but thats day one down! page 4

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    So far I've been REALLY hungry and I've only been trying this for about a week. I think I'm not getting enough fat. I'm not eating terribly primal, my ratios are really off even if I'm not eating any junk/really processed foods. I find that almonds really take the edge off for me though. It sounds like you need some more snacks in your life, though.

shifty1 is offline Senior Member
    Day Fifteen :

Heatwave here is still going strong, and I share a room with three other guys, so the four of us in an already sweltering room makes it really hard to sleep. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to wok out that everyone is on frayed edges due to lack of sleep. Myself included.

Woke up at 7am, and headed to the fridge for another Protein Ball. I'm wondering if its the sugar in them thats keeping me going back at all hours? Is my insulin response running my glucose down, triggering me to grab another one? Hmmm... I started feeling really really guilty over this. Could I control myself? Whats going on? I even told myself that I was eating way to much sugar, that was till I reminded myself that in the ten balls I made, all I used for sweetness was 4 dates! 4 dates over 36 hour period! That cant have to much effect now could it?

I got up, did a few chores, but was feeling low, and could not get to my salad ingredients, so I headed back for a snooze till 10am. Got up, grabbed a salad and some cottage cheese, and headed to class. Still sleepy and sluggish. Didn't feel energised at all.

Struggled till lunch time, where I grabbed some more salad and a piece of cold chicken. Ate the salad, really didn't eat much of the chicken. Played with it more than anything, and realised I was not really hungry, just low energy. Need to work out whats going on here. Im full, just its must be that my body is still not used to burning fat, or I'm not used to using fat as a main source of energy! Its almost like I swapped fuel tanks, and didn't flip the switch to tell the system what to use.

Ate the last three protein balls this afternoon. And a hand full of nuts. But still craving food, even though I feel full! Arrrhh... Now this is frustrating!

In fact, I skipped out on dinner all together, and as I write this, I would love something really sweet to fill me up, but I'm not sure I will eat it. I was planning to make some more Protein Balls before dinner, but I had to run off to my part time job. If anyone knows any other great recipes that are similar to these Protein Ball ones (i.e. doesn't need an oven to make) please let me know! I'm a little scared about my lack of choices right now.

Inspired by the post on MDA that you can find here : Primal Blueprint Success Story | Mark's Daily Apple I started looking into a indoor rock climbing place in town here. I think thats exactly what I need. To get my exercise in a way thats fun and social. I am hoping to go down and find out costs and the likes. I think a session a week should keep me covered with lifting heavy things, and I still want to learn the essential movements that Mark suggests. I have always been better at exercise when my mind is on other things than exercising.

I have a full fast day coming up on Wednesday, so that will be very interesting. I never looked forward to these days with such excitement! Another chance to burn off some more fat stores!

I will also be setting myself little goals to work towards, and share them here. Keeps me honest, and at this point, "Body like Marks" is a goal that may take some years. Need to get something a little closer

As mentioned before, would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible. If I know I can share, I know I cant cheat!

Day Fifteen down! (So glad it is!) Day Sixteen is around the corner! Another day, and other ounce or two away from all that is me!

Love you all... you just didn't know it!

-Shifty!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    So far I've been REALLY hungry and I've only been trying this for about a week. I think I'm not getting enough fat. I'm not eating terribly primal, my ratios are really off even if I'm not eating any junk/really processed foods. I find that almonds really take the edge off for me though. It sounds like you need some more snacks in your life, though.
    I think your totally right Nameless... I just need to work out what kind of snacks I can make and take with me, so I can keep my energy levels up? Whats your favourite?

-Shifty

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I started right around the same time as you, so really all I've got right now is almonds! I'm planning on getting some cottage cheese (not sure how much I like it though) since I can't find any greek yogurt with fat =( I still haven't finished the book though and am really struggling to understand the science of how eating primal works. I'd like to educate my family on it.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I started right around the same time as you, so really all I've got right now is almonds! I'm planning on getting some cottage cheese (not sure how much I like it though) since I can't find any greek yogurt with fat =( I still haven't finished the book though and am really struggling to understand the science of how eating primal works. I'd like to educate my family on it.
    I started just with vegetables as salad. It was the only thing I could get my hands on. As mentioned in my reports, I moved over to making a few things myself, and now have a stock of Protein Balls which are fun and easy to make. I also have some nuts, cans of tuna, and some dried fruit (cranberries) on hand in my room if I need to snack.

From what I understand, its all about the right foods, and as much as you like. Sooner or later its going to have an effect, especially if you add in some exercise you speed up the results! Something I need to get into. Little carbs heavy food, and your body will turn to your fat stores for energy!

Simple huh? (If I made any mistakes, please sing out!) Just keep at it, and start looking around. I was overwhelmed until I found a interview where Mark was talking about the PB. Then it all made allot more sense! Do you have Itunes? If so, plug in "Primal Blueprint" and start listening. The interview I am talking about was around 1hour 30 minutes! That helped put alot in place for me.

Let me know how it goes, or if I can help in any way...

-Shifty

Day Sixteen :

Late start to the day due to the lack of sleep, but I stayed in bed listening to some tunes to try and shake of the lack luster mood I have been having this last week. It helped! I got out of bed, hit the kitchen, and grabbed a small tub of cottage cheese for breakfast. Then headed to class.

Lunch was chicken wings. Full of oil, skin and fat, I helped myself to a plate, and ate till I was not feeling hungry. I think all up I had maybe ten. I was sucking them down, where in the past I limited myself to just three, and then left all the fat and skin. In a short time, I was feeling full. Headed off to my room, where I prepared another ten protein balls before my next class.

I was on a roll, so around 5pm, I made myself a Primal omelette with what I had on hand. Mainly vegetables, I cooked them nice and long before adding in the eggs. For fun, I threw all my veggies into my food processor, and blended them up. Not into a soup, but into a find selections of pieces. That omelette was made with butter, so I was good and ready to go.

Dinner was a few pieces of Cantaloupe that I cut up and prepared for tomorrow. Tomorrow is a fast day for me, no food or water for the full day, and I wanted to have something primal around to break the fast. So I have my Protein Balls, and Cantaloupe ready for when its finished. Normally the school breaks these things with cake and stuff, so I didn't want to be caught out.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I feel really good about it. Normally I start to really worry about fast days, but the way things have been since being on PF, I have a feeling I will want to eat out of habit than out of hunger. I don't see my blood sugar levels nose diving like in the past. Right now I am drinking water and just getting some more work done. The hardest part will be dealing with the heat.

Thats it. If you spot something I could be doing better, please let me know! Im asking, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible. If I know I can share, I know I cant cheat!

Day Sixteen done! Day Seventeen is around the corner! Another day, another step closer to my goals!!

-Shifty!

Day Seventeen :

Fast day today, so last night, I pigged out over cold chicken wings at midnight! I was hungry, so I ate. Lots of fat in those, and while I was not happy about eating so late, I knew I would not be eating or drinking today, so I was not so sore with myself. Normally I have a rule not to eat past 8pm at night! Does that apply with being Primal?

Drank a bottle of water, and went to sleep. Woke up this morning a little more refreshed, and energies, so I was wondering if it was the cool night, or the extra food at the end of the day. Hit class, and it was weird not going to the kitchen for my morning salad and cottage cheese.

The day went smoothly, did my best to stay out of the sun, and just caught up with some extra work I needed to do in the afternoon. Classes were optional.

Hit my office around 6pm, and finished off some more work, before breaking the fast with the Cantaloupe I had prepared. It was a whole melon, and it went down really well. I then joined everyone in the dining hall, and grabbed a handful of grapes, and two bowls of vegetable soup. Still feeling the fast, I made myself my own Primal Omelette, which satisfied me very well. Topped off with a Protein Ball, and some water, I wont be snacking tonight!

When I was at dinner, I grabbed a piece of cake, and without thinking threw it into my mouth. I chewed it up, walked to the bin, and spat it out! The minute I started chewing, I realised what I had done. And caught myself a second time later in the fridge! Tasted great, but like Clinton, I didn't inhale. I don't think I would have tried that if it wasn't such a long day. Still, no harm, no fowl!

I got myself a desk today, and moved it into my corner of the room, so now I have a place to put my food down when I cook. I think the fridge may go on top of that, but I will see. Maybe I will cut the support bar and see if I can slide it under. Made my Omelette i my room, and my roommates said it smelt wonderful, just before they headed into town for dinner! LOL!

Thats it for todays report! If you spot something I could be doing better, please let me know! Im asking, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible. If I know I can share, I know I cant cheat!

Day Seventeen done! Day Eighteen is around the corner! Another day, another step closer to my goals!!

-Shifty!
    Last edited by shifty1; 07-20-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Shifty, I think you are doing brilliantly! Given the circumstances and your lack of control over the food that is served, I think a) your approach is realistic and admirable and b) your commitment is through the roof. Even though I am in essentially the opposite situation from you, I find your posts very relatable and inspirational. I figure, if Shifty can do it, well, I really don't have any excuses! I am well past the point of craving and temptation (and you will be too!) but you are a positive reinforcement and thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    Shifty, I think you are doing brilliantly! Given the circumstances and your lack of control over the food that is served, I think a) your approach is realistic and admirable and b) your commitment is through the roof. Even though I am in essentially the opposite situation from you, I find your posts very relatable and inspirational. I figure, if Shifty can do it, well, I really don't have any excuses! I am well past the point of craving and temptation (and you will be too!) but you are a positive reinforcement and thanks for that!
    Roary... your totally my brother in arms on this! You can make me a Primal dinner sometime! :P Like I mentioned before, your feedback helps a heap! Nice to know someone is following! You keep reading, I'll keep writing!

-Shifty!

Day Eighteen.....

Alright, lack of sleep has just been building, and I hate breaking the "get enough sleep" rule. I cant do anything about the heat, but I started reading up on dealing with some of the things in my mind, and have been taking steps towards dealing with it! If nothing else, just so I can sleep soundly, and be refreshed!

After the meal last night, everyone was up late, and I found myself snacking on some nuts at around two am. The whole house was up and chatting. I guess with the amount of sugar that everyone ate, its to be expected.

I have also noticed that I have been sleeping very soundly around 5am-10am! Until then, Im tossing and turning the whole night. I wonder if there is anything that anyone can suggest that may help with that. Maybe its my normal cycle, Im not sure.

Missed breakfast all together, hit class, made it to lunch, which was meat and bread. Grabbed a place of the meat filling, and a salad, and finished it quickly. Then got chased out of the kitchen by the chef who told me to keep my food clear of his, and find a smaller box for the fridge! He a grumpy old guy, and when I checked what was going on, it seems that someone had been helping themselves to the stuff I have prepped! Cant wait till I have my own fridge!

Dinner was a simple affair, I prepped more veggies,and ate as I went along, with two bowls of veggie soup to fill me up, and some cottage cheese as a take away. Headed to the office, ate the cottage cheese, and then fired up the workout program that Mark gives away. Got through 50 Wall pushups before some others hit the office, but definitely felt it. Im looking at going through one exercise a day till Im confident I can do them all in a set! Looking at technique more than strength at this point. What do you all think? Will I negate the work if I break it up?

Thats it for todays report! If you spot something I could be doing better, please let me know! Im asking, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible. If I know I can share, I know I cant cheat!

Day Eighteen done! Day Nineteen is around the corner! Another day, and right now it feels like a lifetime!!

-Shifty!

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast