Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: First day in, killer headache, but thats day one down! page 2

shifty1 is offline Senior Member
    Day Five wrap up....

Had a horrible night, in fact, I have almost never slept so badly! I tossed and turned, was eaten by bugs who took advantage and kept me up all night. I think all in all, I got maybe an hour before pulling myself out of bed. But I didn't feel lethargic, and got threw the day, so I am chalking it up to living primally!

Missed breakfast, and hit classes. Had the standard tomato and red peppers salad, with some chopped up egg, and then headed off to a few meetings and class. It was a stressful afternoon, when I entered the kitchen to cut up some more supplies.

Lesson number two : When I am stressed, I eat, and eat badly!

The school I am at, caters for approx. two hundred student, and they were having hotdogs for dinner. And a that moment, I went from 100% primal to 80%. I told myself it was meat, (ok totally processed, but still meat) and great a few. Then made myself a big salad. After the salad I regreated it, and headed to my next set of classes...

... which were all about blessings over food! ARRHHH... So a large part of what the class is, is saying the blessings, the eating. for me, I had one tiny party pastry, fruit, half a glass of wine mixed with water, and a fig! And up went my insulin levels... I promise you, I could feel it! As I type now, I feel heavy headed almost like a dream.... I would have to say I can also feel my blood running threw my veins... thick, gluggy feeling... not cool...

So thats my day. I want to keep a tab on my bloating after all this, but tomorrow is a new day, and as long as I learn from my mistakes, I should be alright, right? Just as long as I don't start sliding down to where I was before I started.

Tomorrow I have the day off and plan to hit the market to get some nuts and other primal snacks. Still working on the refrigerator, but I should be ok over the weekend. For me, its the sabbath, so I will write up what happened Saturday night.

As mentioned before, would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible. If I know I can share, I know I cant cheat!

Love you all... you just didn't know it!

Day Five Down! Day Six and Seven is just around the corner!

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I love Perth, originally I am from the uk but that was a lifetime ago. From a person who loves cottage cheese I personally wouldn't worry too much. You got to live life and seriously if that's what you like and it fits within the nutrition guidelines who cares. Others may disagree but then it depends how far you want to go!

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Shifty, your enthusiasm is amazing. Keep it up!

JennyE is offline Junior Member
    Today is my third day and it's so interesting to hear that you have had headaches at the start. I have had ne for the last two days and I'm wondering if it's from the carb withdraw, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    Shifty, your enthusiasm is amazing. Keep it up!
    Thanks Roary... Your quick note makes all the difference! Hows your adventure going?

-Shifty

Quote Originally Posted by JennyE View Post
    Today is my third day and it's so interesting to hear that you have had headaches at the start. I have had ne for the last two days and I'm wondering if it's from the carb withdraw, what do you think?
    Hey JennyE....

Im totally no expert, and have just umped into living Primally after reading the book/plan.

What I can tell you is this. I had a killer headache the first day, and I really thin it was my body crying out for carbs. In the past I would grab a sports drink, like Gaterade, or get some instant noodles, and that usually settled it down. This time, I totally refused to do so, hitting the water, and resting as much as I could. After the first night, the headache went away, till later that night, and again, I felt it was the urge for carbs that created it.

So far, I have gotten over that hill, and working towards a much more energy and fun filled days. Stick with it. I know the headaches can hold you back, on the third day, I took some paracetamol, and that helped stay on track. So far, I have yet to have another headache like it, sleep and naps help a lot.

Let me know how you go JennyE...

-Shifty

Day Six + Seven wrap up...

Day Six : Woke up, skipped breakfast simply cause I didn't feel like it! Headed off for an early morning appointment, jumping on a bus and walking to the office! Then walked down to a market to find some Primal snacks. Couldn't find any beef jerky that wasn't completely processed, so passed and then grabs some bags of mixed nuts. Rather get them from a fresh food market, but these are better than chocolate and sugar.

Headed over to a friends house on foot, some great hills in the heat, so I was soaking up my sunlight as well as getting some exercise! I was dripping in sweat by the time I arrived, and joined in clearing their new backyard which was overgrown with years of weeds. More medium exercise and having fun! My friends made us lunch, and while I passed on the tuna lasagna, I had the greatest salad, topped with olive oil, and a little natural cheese thrown in! And there was heaps, so everyone ate well, and I got to eat until I wasn't hungry! Fantastic....

Ran around for the rest of the day, before heading off for the weekend. Being hosted was a little bit tricky, but dinner was baked vegetables, chicken soup, and two nice pieces of chicken! The bonus was a glass of red wine! The perfect dinner, even though I wanted to taste the bread on offer. Still. I resisted, kept my eye on the prize, and called it a night!

Day Seven :

Woke up early, and headed off to spend some spiritual time, before arriving back for lunch! More salad and chicken was my fare, when potato bakes and pasta were on offer. Dinner was the hardest, cause by this time, I had eaten everything I could, and it was a carb smorgasbord. Diving into my bag, I ate a mixture of sunflower seeds and nuts, while I started trying to justify having a piece of cake, or sweetened yogurt, tuna bake, or egg loaf!

Ended up having the day off, and napping constantly throughout the day. At one point I thought I might go for a long walk, but just didnt feel like it, so I took Marks advice, and just let it slide. Little did I know that I would be walking home later in the day, so I got to burn off some carbs anyway!

I sat at the table for an hour, as more and more sweets and carbs came out on that table, and it was driving me made. At least twice I caught myself going to grab something on the table, and then checked myself. Sure, you can have something sweet sometimes, but six days in? I didn't want to chance it, cause I know myself, Start here, and I can talk myself out of being primal!

So I got threw it, munched on my nuts, and learnt another lesson. Bring something Primal for desert, even if you don't eat it. I would have loved to be able to turn to something I know would have been better than all that sugar and carbs! Have to plan for that in the future!

So thats it. Hard day, but one step at a time. Really have appreciated the last few comments, nice to know I am not alone here!

As mentioned before, would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible. If I know I can share, I know I cant cheat!

Day Six and Seven down, and that makes it a week!!! Woo hoo! A new week and day Eight is coming up fast!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thanks Bel... Im doing my best! Cant wait till the fat starts to burn!

-Shifty

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day Eight!

FIrst day of a new cycle, and I got up extra early to chase up some unfinished business before classes start. Cause I don't have a car, it means I have to walk everywhere I go, or take a bus, so I hoofed it grok style up and out of the city and headed into town, up and down some steep steps. All my walking around added up to approx two hours of mild walking, although I had broken a sweat, and was breathing a little hard on some of those hills!

As I skipped breakfast to get a early start, I decided to treat myself, and headed into a frozen yogurt store for a health smoothy. Picking the healthiest choice, (mostly fruit) and a regular size, I found myself taking a few sips and then really... not wanting the rest. I threw out half the drink guilt free, just cause I didn't want to force it down my throat (something I would have done a week ago!) I thin the last time I has a smoothy was a year ago, so now that that treat was done, I think I'm good for the next year!!!

I have been carrying nuts with me where ever I go, so I pulled them out, ate half a handful, then held off till lunch. Lunch was my usual... Sneak into the kitchen, mix up a salad with my pre chopped veggies, and hot tail it out of their (man, they get busy in there!) So as the school was eating spaghetti, meat sauce (more oil than sauce... shudder, cause none of them are primal), and garlic bread, I had my salad. I'll be honest, I need to find ways to change it up, but right now, it was the greatest thing in the world!

More classes, then dinner, which was a treat, cause it was reheated dinner from the weekend, which was a roast! I got my fill of turkey and beef, before finishing off another salad and I feel full and not hungry in the slightest. All before 7pm, which means no late night eating, which I did last night! I know we should eat when we are hungry, but I got a feeling all the food sitting in our stomachs when we are sleeping cant be to good... Then again,I might be wrong! Let me know what you guys think!

Cant wait to see some of my belly slide off me... I have already gotten some comments, but I really believe this is more due to the loss of bloating then anything else. My next step is to incorporate lifting heavy things, which I am working on getting to happen. Still working on a place.

Some good news, I might have found a small bar fridge to store my food in, which means I will have total control! I have noticed some of my prepared food stuffs missing over this weekend!

Day Eight down, and day nine is coming up fast! About to hit double digests! Yeah!

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast