Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: First day in, killer headache, but thats day one down! page 11

shifty1 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Day Fifty One :

Woke up early today. Was up and about around 8.30 am which was a great change. Looking at two days in a row! In fact, I was able to head down and have breakfast with everyone else, which was my usual tub of cottage cheese. Then I was off for another meeting... This time I used the newly operating light rail, which meant walking to the station, a good 20 minutes, jumping onboard, and then hiking down the hill, which brought the number to 30 minutes. All this exercise adds to your day!

After the meeting I took myself off to the market and looked for some nuts so I could make my protein ball mix. I realise that its next to impossible to get blueberries here, so the numbers for carbs on these things must be off. Still I'm liking the results. Grabbed myself a big bottle of water, and I was golden.

Walking home (approx 45min -1 hour) I realised that I must be working threw my fat stores, cause I have been eating very little, and seem to have enough energy to keep going. Don't get me wrong, I have moments where I feel sluggish, not like I had boundless energy (all that sugar in the system?) but I can keep going. I feel it, but I don't run out of steam. If I pass myself, I'm golden

Back home, I made some protein balls (Im linking cooking, wish I had a hotplate), and lunch was three sticks of turkey jerky I bought to try. Not the greatest, the beef were better. Didn't feel hungry at all! so I didn't eat, just made sure I drank some.... Dinner was a piece of chicken, simply cause a friend of mine in the kitchen put it aside for me! After that I was full, and ht the office, before I head to bed!

Here are my numbers for today!
    Cals :738, Fats : 28.1, Carbs : 22.3 Protein : 95.4

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1800+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

I love your comments! Truly!

Day Fifty One done! Day Fifty Two is coming up!! Days seem to fly by now!

Love you all... you just didn't know it!

- Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

Day Fifty Two :

Not such a great day for me. Woke up late, but was kept up coughing all night by this bug thats been going around.
    Woke up, grabbed the usual cottage cheese, but felt hungry. Went off to the tallest building near me to fly a kite for a few hours, which left me in the sun, and I was feeling more than just thirsty! Headed back home, and drank for a while...

Lunch was a meat salad that I went out for, and even after that, I was still hungry. Went back home, ate two protein balls, and then headed back out to the office. After a few hours, I went off to find some jerky, and ate three sticks. Even then I was not really feeling full, so when dinner came I grabbed another tub of cottage cheese and a beer. It was one of those days.

Im guessing I am filling extra hungry cause of the cold, and I must be needed the extra food cause I feel it. Normally I am fine, today all I have been doing is feeding. I'm not sure if I will have more tonight, but I wont be surprised. Be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Cals :1,698, Fats : 91.3, Carbs : 79.5 Protein : 122.2

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1800+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Fifty Two done! Day Fifty Three is coming up!! Wow!

- Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hey SHifty,

Sounds like you are doing great(aside from the pain in the ass cough). I don't know if you have access to an oven to bake, but I have a great recipe for protein muffins. I can eat 1 or 2 of these and go for quite some time. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

3 cups of nuts (mixture of whatever you like, or have access to)
    1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds
    1 cup pitted dates, or even dried pineapple or mango(these both have lower sugar than the dates)
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Juice from 1 lemon
    1-2 tbsp lemon zest
    1/2 cup coconut flakes
    1-2 tbsp ginger(chopped or grated)
    1/3 cup almond flour
    2 eggs
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    1/4 cup molasses(i prefer using almond butter)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground Nutmeg
    I also like to add dark chocolate chips...Added bonus:-)
    Preheat oven to 325. Grease muffin pan(i use coconut oil for this). If you don't have a muffin pan, you can use a cookie sheet and just make a flat sheet and cut into squares when cooled.

Mix nuts/dates(or mango, pineapple) in a food processor, or blender if you don't have a processor. Chop until the mixture is chopped, but not too fine. Pour into a bowl, then add the other ingredients and mix well. This usually makes about 10-12 muffins. Scoop into tray, and bake until tops are brown(about 20-25 minutes). Let cool, eat and enjoy.

I hope this finds you well, and that you can make them. They keep for quite a while as well.

On another note, a little tequila/lime might help with that cough;-) In Mexico, that was the cure for everything!

Cheers, and Grok on!

Soccer Grok

Soccergrok....

I'm printing out the ingredients list, and going to work on getting these made by the end of the week. Thanks, I'll let you know how I do

-Shifty

Day Fifty Three :

Woke up early again, but spent some time in bed just enjoying not having to run out of bed. Took out some serious time to just think about everything thats been going on. It was a nice change.

Got up, grabbed a tub of cottage cheese and realised that I was really hungry. Had some housekeeping to do before grabbing my computer and heading down to the office to check on email and the likes. I stayed there till 1am, when I was going to catch up with an old friend, so I headed back to the dorm, made myself a almond milk protein shake with a shot of coconut oil, and headed off.

As I left the old city I saw the new trams running, and legged it double time to catch it simply cause I was late. I was surprised that I made it in time, but I also smiled at the idea that I sprinted all out, and got some sprints in I have been really trying to get more active, and here I was doing it without trying. I realised I need to get out into the world more....

I wasn't planing on getting any lunch, but my friend and I ended up at a cafe, and they had Onion soup on the menu, so I could not help myself. Passed on the dips and the bread, but enjoyed a big bowl of soup. Its funny how you forget what you really enjoy. A plate of soup is one of those things I used to take for granted.

After lunch, we headed to the park, and I tried out a new kite I bought. I had fun running from one side to the other, trying to get the kite to stay in the air. This is the second time I have been hampered by a weird crosswind that seems to blow my kite out of the air. Next time I will try it off the roof again... By the time I was finished, I had a great swea built up, and the walk home showed me I was a little sore, but all in all, a very nice way to spend the day.

Back to the office, some research done,and I hit the kitchen to see what I could have for dinner. Some beef spareribs were on offer as leftovers, and I grabbed a few of the bigger pieces. The biggest was more fat than meat, and for the life of me, I could not eat it! I guess it was my mothers voice that always told me to cut the fat away. It was cold, so the texture really turned me off. Something to work on.

So that was my day. I think I am good till tomorrow, where I am heading off to visit people in another town. Lots of activity coming around.

Cals :1,613, Fats : 81.3, Carbs : 97.4 Protein : 122.6

The Onion soup blew out my carbs for the day, but then again, maybe I needed it cause of the cold. It was a nice change, but not everyday!

Day Fifty Three done! Day Fifty Four is coming up!! Amazing!

- Shifty

Day Fifty Four :

"Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you!" Today was a day with a few losses and a few successes!

Toad I went to see some family that lives across country, so I got up early and spent most of the morning jumping buses, taxis, and the street to find my way there. It was great to see someone friendly faces, and I chalked it up to "having fun" on the primal scale.

After catching up, I was shown around town, and then taken to one of their favourite restaurants, which happened to be good for me, cause their special was BBQ! We ate and I partook in the large selections of salads brought to us, as well as the meats of all shape and flavours. It was nice, and it seems that lately I have been spoilt with the food I have been eating. I know its not an everyday thing, but its way to easy to say, "Just this once" and today it caught me out.

Before adapting to being primal,I loved cake, and my family members knew it, so they made especially for me, my favourite cake, which also happened to be flour less! First time I felt really pressured, so I had a piece, thanked them, and then refused the second, but twenty minutes later, I was paying for my decision.

Heading home, my insulin spike was massive, and I found myself with a killer headache, feeling nauseous, and sleepy, as well as just generally feeling low. It really was the first time I felt so horrible after going primal, and I still have the after effects of the sugar hangover. Siting on the bius back home, I just was in my own world of pain, and told myself to ride it out.

Getting back into town, I walked down to the market, and picked up a bunch of ingredients to make some of the Protein nut muffins that Soccer Grok shared with me above. I also discovered a vendor that would make up Almond Flour for me, by putting the nuts I bought through his machine! I was so wrapped that I was determined to make these muffins, and thats what I did.

But don't just believe me, here are a few pictures to show you!

The mixture!! Nice!

Thats Shifty.... Bad hair day!

The final result!

I didn't have any muffin trays, and I missed some small ingredients, but all in all, I think these came out all right. My first ever hand at baking! I will definitely be eating these The only bummer part is I cant use the kitchen again, cause I sort of snuck in to make these. The chef was throwing his knives at me by the end of it!

So that was my day. Not great about the cake (still feeling it) much better about the supplies and protein bars.

Cals :1,448, Fats : 84.2, Carbs : 59.2 Protein : 109.7

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1900+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Fifty Four done! Day Fifty Five is coming up!! Time to do better!

- Shifty
    Last edited by shifty1; 08-24-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Pics added

Day Fifty Five :

Last night, after finishing the report, I was invited out with friends to go see movie. What this meant was that we walked an hour one way, and an hour back, so I had a good extra two hours exercise I never planed on. The movie was good to. No snacks Even better.

Slept in today cause I could and I needed it. Got up at 11am! Had some of the Protein bar that I made yesterday. Was really nice, could use a little more fruit, but the ginger made up some great flavour. The I headed to the office. After the office, I went in to the see what leftovers were available, and was lucky enough to get a piece of chicken that was made for the upcoming weekend. They also gave me some boiled beetroot. Not something I have eaten like that before, but it did help fill me up! Very cool.

Stayed around the dorms cause the heat outside was stifling... I only have a few days holidays till Im back in class, so I did some of those non primal things, like play video games, and just chill out. Maybe thats more of the fun we all need for balance.

I have also been munching on some pumpkin seeds all day, simply cause I have had them around the room, and I find when am not actively doing things I tend to want to eat. Its funny, but the more energy I spend, the less hungry I am! Days when I am not doing much... I eat!

I dont think I will be eating much more today, but then I am about to ride off to a meeting in a few hours, who who knows. If I do, I'll adjust the report at a later date.

Cals :2,091, Fats : 149.7, Carbs : 83.1 Protein : 131.4

Pumpkin seeds threw me over. Got to keep those carbs low to shed the pounds.

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1900+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Fifty Five done! Day Fifty Six is coming up!! Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

- Shifty

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hey SHifty,

Nice work on the bars...Maybe give the chef a couple, and he might let ya back in. Yeah, I had a sugar spike the other day, and felt like 100lbs of dog shit in a 10lb bag...First time in probably over a year that I felt that bad. Last was when I ate pasta(was being polite at a friends house), and it felt like someone stuck an air compressor straight into my stomach and just kept pressin! I find that chewing on mint leaves really helps to subside the fog pretty fast. keep up the good work, you're doing "GREAT"!

Cheers,
    Soccer Grok

Wow.... Its amazing what can happen in a two day stretch... This is going to be a tough one to write, but here I go...

Cont. Day Fifty Five :

After writing my last entry, I borrowed my best friend brand new, super cool, $3000+ bike to make a meeting. Its a vey cool ride, and I was enjoying feeling like I worked hard only a few minutes into riding it. Sure I can walk all over town for hours, but biking is a whole different discipline! Within the 15 minute bike ride to get were I needed to be, I was covered in sweat, fighting to get my breath, and enjoying every minute of it.

On the way back, I decided not to tax myself as hard, and enjoyed the fact that most of the ride was downhill, except the last leg, which I had to go up a really steep hill. I put my head down, started pumping my legs, as I was going up a one way street the wrong way (maybe that was the trick. Remembering not to do dangerous things!) And as I was just about to make the top, the chain broke, my foot when through to the floor, I did my best to try and recover, but alas, then next thing I knew, I was being thrown, and the bike was suddenly landing o top of me!

More than anything, I was impressed, and when I got up, I looked myself over. My ankle was throbbing in pain, but my concern was for my friends bike, so I threw it over my shoulder, picked up the chain, and walked another 20 minutes into the old city with it over my right shoulder. It must have been a site, cause I ran into a friend on the way in, who told me to go straight to the hospital! But not before I returned the bike.

To my friends credit, he handled it very well. This bike is his life, and I think to date, Im the only one who he has ever lent it to. RIght now its in the shop, and I think its going to cost me more to fix than if I bought a new one myself. I went to bed, and to say I had a sleepless night would be an understatement. I could feel the adrenalin effect wear off, and by morning, I was in to much pain to ignore the situation.

Day Fifty Six :

I woke up in pain, and dragged myself to the bus stop to head down to the hospital. Spent the good part of the day there getting checked out. I didn't realise how hard I hit, until they commented that I was back and blue on my back, and had some really nice gashes along my arms and legs. The nice doctors and nurses ran checks, xrays and the in the end told me I was blessed, and that I should have had a heap more injuries than I had

I didn't eat anything till I got home, around 4pm when I ate some cheese and some of the protein bars I made. My firend took his bike to the shop, and it looks like I will be out around $400 to get it fixed. There must be a lesson in it for me , still working on it. I slept till 7pm, where I had to get up, do some personal things, and then head off to dinner with some of the new guys who came to the school. In the funny way the world works, I had to limp my way past the exact spot I took my fall. I guess when you fall off, the best thing you can do is get back right on.

Had a good dinner, started with some very Primal homemade wine by our host, two bowls of chicken soup, and some chicken to boot. I did have a mixture of water and home made lemonade during the meal, and felt better.

Here are my numbers for Friday!
    Cals :836, Fats : 46.2, Carbs : 29.5 Protein : 47.0

Day Fifty Six:

Slept in a long time, and got up feeling sore and stiff. My bad really played up during the night and by morning I was seriously thinking about looking to find someplace to get a massage. By the time got up and ready, it was lunchtime, and I headed down to another meal I was invited to. To say I was not in the best of moods would not be a exaggeration.

Lunch was a mixture of salad, chicken and wine. It was not till desert came about, and I was offered a bowl of sorbet that I hit a snag. I wanted something sweet, and accepted it, as well as a small slice of apple cake t go with it. I knew what I was doing and it was only after I ate it did I regret it. I was surprise that I did not have the same sugar rush that I had on Thursday after the cake, but it didn't really help much. So this was a really my day where I fell off the wagon, this time by choice. Dinner was some cottage cheese.

I really didn't have the heart to put all I ate today into fitday. Maybe tomorrow.

After the last few hours, I really felt I let myself down. But I know what I need to do. Tomorrow I start getting serious about being Primal again, which means making sure I don't let some things slip through. Im back to vegetables and meat, with some nuts thrown in. I refuse to let this setback stop my progress.

Day Fifty Six and Seven done! Day Fifty Eight is coming up!!

- Shifty

Day Fifty Eight :

More recovery time for me. Slept well, but stayed in bed when I found my ankle was still sore as hell. I did get up at lunchtime, hobbled to the roof of my building, and tried to fly my kite for a good 20 minutes before realising that there was not enough wind out today, and went to the kitchen. It was hotdogs, so I grabbed 5 without anything else, ate them, and then headed back to my room. Not the best, but it could be worse.

Back at the dorm, my roommates had a games server going, so I played a few games with them, till I got tired of them beating me up, then headed to the office where I did some writing and other housework. Back to my room, and one of my roommates had gone to the market and brought me back a homemade nut bar. Totally palio... trust me.... Well, I ate it, and I trust my body! Headache, and insulin high. I know he was doing something good for me, but this is the last thing I need right now.

About to head down to the kitchen, and grab some vegetables for dinner. Maybe another cottage cheese. But after that Im done.

Edit : Or so I thought I was done.... <sigh>
    With all best intention, I headed over to the kitchen, and was greeted with chocolate ice-cream, and baked potatoes. I don't know whats gotten into me lately. I think I am just trying to sabotage my primal lifestyle.
    Its getting frustrating, cause I think I am beginning to enjoy the insulin roller coaster! Here I am scolding myself after the fact, but I seem to be just jumping at eating the wrong things. Sugar, sugar, sugar... I know its not at the levels I used to eat, but I feel lousy. Not physically, but more cause this behaviour has not been making me feel good.

I was worried about this when I hit the 50 day mark. My new plan is to take things an hour at a time. Just stay Primal for the next hour. Thats it. Got to make it simple.

Let the tough times roll....

Cals :2007, Fats : 52.9, Carbs : 296.1 Protein : 97.4

300 on my carbs.. I'm definitely going to put on weight for today.... <sigh>
    The nutty muesli bar my friend bought me threw me over. The potatoes and ice cream didn't help much either. I'm on a sugar cycle right now. Time to break it. My worst day yet!

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 2100+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Fifty Eight done! Day Fifty Nine is coming up!!

- Shifty
    Last edited by shifty1; 08-28-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: being honest... <sigh>

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast