Thread: CW Child Approved Primal Yogurt Success Story page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

CW Child Approved Primal Yogurt Success Story

Primal Fuel
    My step-daughter loves yogurt, like loves it. But she loves the kind loaded with sugar. I tried just not buying it for her weekends with us, but I can tell she misses it and since I try to demonstrate love to her in a variety of ways, I decided to try and make a primal alternative.

I told her we weren't going to buy yogurt anymore because it has too much sugar, but that I would buy some plain yogurt and flavor it at home if she wanted me to try. She agreed to here's what I did (simple I know)

Ingredients:
    1 single serving tub of full-fat greek yogurt
    3 strawberries
    Splash of HWC
    Stevia

I quartered the strawberries and placed them into the blender with a splash of heavy whipping cream to keep things moving. Then I added the tub of yogurt and blended it until incorporated with the strawberry puree. Finally, I added 1 packet of sweetleaf stevia and then poured the whole thing back into the yogurt tub.

Bingo! Even I was surprised by how similar it tasted to "regular" sweetened yogurt, and I think the splash of HWC really added another dimension of richness.

I know this idea isn't rocket science, but it passed her test, and I thought I'd share it for other moms who have to work a little harder with converting their kiddos

mcsnick is offline Member
    This sound delish. Thanks for sharing, and what a loving step-mom you are!

Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    My step-daughter loves yogurt, like loves it. But she loves the kind loaded with sugar. I tried just not buying it for her weekends with us, but I can tell she misses it and since I try to demonstrate love to her in a variety of ways, I decided to try and make a primal alternative.

I told her we weren't going to buy yogurt anymore because it has too much sugar, but that I would buy some plain yogurt and flavor it at home if she wanted me to try. She agreed to here's what I did (simple I know)

Ingredients:
    1 single serving tub of full-fat greek yogurt
    3 strawberries
    Splash of HWC
    Stevia

I quartered the strawberries and placed them into the blender with a splash of heavy whipping cream to keep things moving. Then I added the tub of yogurt and blended it until incorporated with the strawberry puree. Finally, I added 1 packet of sweetleaf stevia and then poured the whole thing back into the yogurt tub.

Bingo! Even I was surprised by how similar it tasted to "regular" sweetened yogurt, and I think the splash of HWC really added another dimension of richness.

I know this idea isn't rocket science, but it passed her test, and I thought I'd share it for other moms who have to work a little harder with converting their kiddos
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    What is HWC?

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    HWC = heavy whipping cream.

Sounds good -- my only thought would be that that's a LOT of calories to consume if it's just a snack and not a full meal, especially if your step-daughter is small. Could be something to keep an eye on.

Mcsnicks, thanks for your kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieProf View Post
    HWC = heavy whipping cream.

Sounds good -- my only thought would be that that's a LOT of calories to consume if it's just a snack and not a full meal, especially if your step-daughter is small. Could be something to keep an eye on.

She always eats yogurt as part of breakfast; she's not a big snacker. I'm also not concerned about calories with her because she's incredibly active and the size of a toothpick. Besides, I wouldn't think of that as much at all in the way of calories.

Well my single-serving tub of full-fat Fage has 260 calories, plus add probably well over 100 for the HWC -- not a lot for a meal but a lot for a small child's snack, and a lot more than the average supermarket yogurt, is all I was thinking (since so many kids do have weight issues). I eat that for breakfast, not a snack, and I'm a 120-pound woman. If she needs the calories, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieProf View Post
    Well my single-serving tub of full-fat Fage has 260 calories, plus add probably well over 100 for the HWC -- not a lot for a meal but a lot for a small child's snack, and a lot more than the average supermarket yogurt, is all I was thinking (since so many kids do have weight issues). I eat that for breakfast, not a snack, and I'm a 120-pound woman. If she needs the calories, it's fine.
    I see where you were coming from, and I appreciate your concern I realized I actually bought the 2% because the store was out of whole milk, and all of the ingredients together only came to a total of 253 calories (that was assuming I had a hefty splash of hwc 2 tbsp). And, of course, she'll be eating this as breakfast since she doesn't really eat snacks and she's quite an active 11 year old. It's a good solution for us, but for others who want a snack or or have much younger children, I can understand why reducing/eliminating the hwc is a good choice.

FWIW, when I eat Greek yogurt for breakfast (often Fage 2% too, since that's mostly what I can find), I add vanilla whey protein powder to it to boost the protein content. You might find that worth experimenting with -- it also contributes to the flavor. I use Jay Robb whey protein, which is sweetened with stevia.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great, thanks for sharing! My boys won't eat anything but conventional heavily sweetened yogurt (my fault, I've recently discovered the PB and thought I was doing a "good" thing by feeding them yogurt), and I told them that I wasn't buying it anymore because it has too much sugar. I'm going to give this one a whirl, so to speak. Question though- does blending the Greek yogurt make it runny? Did you have to re-refrigerate it to give it a more solid consistency?

It was still nice and thick--though a little thinner because of the blended strawberries. If you leave it out it gets a little runnier, but not just from blending. Good luck!