Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit can be a complete breakfast page

Saoirse is online now Senior Member

Fruit can be a complete breakfast

Shop Now
    this came from a friend on facebook who has converted to being a raw foodist.

*headdesk*

For example: 2000 calories of cantaloupe provides 49 grams of protein, 480 grams of carbs, 11 grams of fat (including a whopping 2.7 grams of Omega-3), 100% of minerals and 92% of vitamins - falling short only on Vitamin B2 (providing 86% of the RDA) and Vitamin E (providing 29%). Simply adding a great source of B2 and Vitamin E like a handful of almonds provides the full range of nutrients.

Ummm...really?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    So according to USDA data, that's about 13 small melons. I bid her good luck with that.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    this came from a friend on facebook who has converted to being a raw foodist.

*headdesk*

Ummm...really?

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    The farts produced by 3 days of eating nothing but cantaloupe are unrivaled in the olfactory world. Pro tip. Carry on.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I would get explosive diarrhea from eating that much fruit - unless I spanned it over a few days(3 weeks) and ate non-fruit items(like meat) in between.

No thanks.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The evidence is compelling.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

ludo is offline Junior Member
    Why would someone do that to themselves? I mean, I suppose technically that is meeting the "RDA," but some folks will never realize that RDA does not = best practice.
    Starting Stats: Current Stats: Goal Stats:
    Weight: 283lbs Weight: 271lbs Weight: 145lbs

We started as a work project, let's see what we become.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If it were mangoes, I could do it. Maybe not 2,000 calories, but 1,000 calories? Easy. Maybe when I'm on the road.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    Ummm...really?
    Yeah, utter bullshit. You couldn't get vitamin B12 that way. Nor, of course, could you get vitamin A, which is only present in animal foods. Nor could you get vitamin K2, again only present in animal foods.

A is important if you don't want to be infertile—or end up blind or something.

K2 ensures that you don't suffer calcification of your soft tissues.

I'd guess there are beta-carotenes in the fruit and some program like fitday thinks those are vitamin A. They're not. They're a precursor, and the conversion rate in the body is never good but catastrophically low for some people. The WHO, which worries about the effect on children in the 3rd world keeps revising its figures on this downwards as it finds out more.

This is the "spoilt 1st worlder diet". She lives where she can eat properly, unlike those kids, and instead of being grateful for it, she goes for voluntary undernourishment.

Even if an overload on carbs were a good idea (which it's not if you want to avoid diabetes) then that isn't supplying the vitamins needed in the diet. I think it wouldn't be a problem if it were a breakfast now and then, but the idea that you could replace a whole day's meals—2,000 calories worth—with that ...

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    This is the "spoilt 1st worlder diet". She lives where she can eat properly, unlike those kids, and instead of being grateful for it, she goes for voluntary undernourishment.
    +1
    although, some might think the same of our diet.
    i can imagine eating nothing but freshly picked, super juicy cantaloupe for 1/2 a day, but not trying to make it a way-of-life. of course there's also the fact that cantaloupe is only in season here for maybe 2 weeks out of the year, and the rest of the year it must be imported from far-away places. OTOH, i could have a cow in my backyard if i had a little more space. hmm...which is more sustainable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast