Thread: Recurring Rash page

Anave is offline Member

Recurring Rash

Primal Fuel
    I'm starting to get irritated at a recurring rash I've been noticing over the last several months, because I have no idea what it is or what's causing it. Every few weeks it crops up as a quarter sized patch of small, itchy, red bumps on the back of my hand right under the thumb joint, usually accompanied by two smaller patches on the opposite wrist and knuckle. It's always in the exact same spot, and the only way I've found to get rid of it is to use a steroid cream given to me by a dermatologist for a different problem a while back. It would be nice to know the cause so I can avoid it in the first place, or to find a more natural cure for when it hits. Could it be something I'm eating? I use the same skin care products regularly, so I doubt I'm reacting to any of those. Any ideas as to what the rash is or how to treat it would be appreciated!
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

I'm not gonna be any help, but if you find out what it is, let me know. I've had something similar crop up within the last week. Red, itchy bumps that appear in clusters. At first maybe I thought it was bug bites, but looking at it now, it doesn't look anything like that. It looks like an allergic reaction. I've got it all over my legs and a couple of small spots on my arms. I made sure I cleaned the house really well, and haven't been eating anything out of the ordinary. And, as far as I know, I'm not allergic to anything. My hydrocortisone cream only keeps the itch away for a small amount of time, and god forbid I touch it on anything, it just starts back up again. D:

My face broke out really bad around the same time, and while it happens around that "time of the month", it's never this bad. I thought maybe it was the dairy I was still eating, but it hasn't cleared up yet. It's like my skin got really angry with me all at once.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    FWIW, brown rice caused skin problems for both my dad and I.

Loco Moco is offline Member
    i get patches like that when i eat gluten - sometimes on my hands, but mostly on my chest and thighs. but really, it could be ANYTHING, from fungal infection to an allergy to an environmental toxin. do you have pics? someone on this forum is probably a dermatologist...

if it really bothers you and cortizone cream doesn't work, you could try taking Alavert (it's good for rashes, even if they're not allergen-based). i've heard Benedryll's good too, but it makes some people sleepy.
    Last edited by Loco Moco; 07-02-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: clarification

barefootmama is offline Member
    Is there any food that you've recently started eating, or are eating a lot more of than you used to? It does sound a lot like the rash I get from eating gluten. Could you be eating hidden gluten in something?

Can you keep a food journal for a few days/weeks and see if anything jumps out at you? Maybe try eliminating a couple of the more highly allergenic foods (eggs/fish/nuts) for a week or so and see if it resolves.

Anave is offline Member
    I'm not sure if there's a specific food that I've been eating when the rash crops up (it happens once every few weeks). I wish I'd taken a picture, but I used the cortizone cream on it again and now it's almost gone. I'll pay more attention to what I've been eating if it happens again. DemonGraveWolf mentioned a rash coinciding with her cycle, and that's not something I'd considered before either so I'll also pay attention to that.

As far as gluten, it's unlikely that I've been exposed to any here at home, but it might be possible that there was cross-contamination of a salad I ate at a restaurant or something like that. I never used to think of myself as being THAT sensitive to it, but it may be. That's three new ideas to go on, so if I'm observant I might be able to figure out what triggers this rash!
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Digby is offline Senior Member
    This is ringing a warning bell, but I can't remember why. I would go see a dermatologist, or at least see your local doctor.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Anave View Post
    if I'm observant I might be able to figure out what triggers this rash!
    Health Correlator: Health markers varying inexplicably? Do some detective work with HCE