Thread: Foraging for Wild Edibles page

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member

Foraging for Wild Edibles

Has anyone tried this? Aside from going out and picking some blueberries in your front yard? I'd love to head down to a patch of woods sometime and forage. I found a great website a couple days ago that lists all the wild edibles in each state. Along with a little google image surfing on the scientific name, it's great for learning the local edibles. I've been trying to learn a few every day. On the same site, there's also a tool that lets you see where people have marked locations for wild edibles so you can go and forage them, but unless you live in Florida, it's not of much use.

So what are your experiences with wild edibles?

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Do yourself a favor and look up the paw paw tree, learn to recognize it, learn to find it and come September you can thank me

Here ya go

Pawpaws are the largest edible fruit native to North America. They are high in vitamin C magnesium, iron, copper, and manganese, are a good source of potassium, and several amino acids, contain significant amounts of riboflavin, calcium, phosphorus, and zinc, containing these nutrients in amounts equal or greater than found in apples, bananas or oranges. They are also higher in protein than most other fruit. Research has shown that Pawpaw trees produce natural compounds in leaf, bark, and twig tissue that possess anti-cancer properties. Fully ripe pawpaws last only a few days at room temperature, but may be kept for a week in the refrigerator. If fruit is refrigerated before it is fully ripe, it can be kept for up to three weeks, and can then be allowed to finish ripening at room temperature. Ripe pawpaw flesh, with skin and seeds removed, can be pureed and frozen for later use. Some people even freeze whole fruits. They have a taste similar to a banana or mango,and can be used interchangably in recipes calling for either.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's basically a way of life for us from spring through fall.

I love wild foods, and I'm always trying to find new ways of enjoying them. There are still a lot that I know about but haven't tried (burdock, for example.) I am anxiously awaiting milkweed pods and wild grape. The leaves are a great addition to pickles- they keep your cucumbers crunchy! The thing with foraging is that the "season" on different foods seem so short. Fiddleheads were in and out of season before I could blink. Same with knotweed and garlic mustard. Speaking of mustard, I'm hoping to catch the wild mustard in seed this year so I can make my own condiments. I also spotted some wild sweet pea, and am hoping I can get to it before the city clears roadside. I'm a little bummed I didn't get to any wild mushrooms this spring. Too late for that now.

Yeah... I guess you'd say foraging rocks.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Muscadines (wild grapes) are a staple around here...they're everywhere and they're DELICIOUS!!! I rooted 5 of my favorite vines to forage on and transplanted them to my yard.

It's a simple process really, just take a gallon container with quality soil out to the vine and bury a portion of a young runner in it near the end. Once it establishes a nice little root system of it's own cut it free from the parent and bring it home.
    Last edited by Dalton; 07-04-2011 at 11:23 AM.