Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil tablets - best value product? page

jesselperry Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi all,

Just wanted to come to you all and get your 2 cents on something, because you all have been SUCH a help to me in the past. Can't thank you enough. I don't get to contribute a ton myself, but I enjoy reading all of your wisdom.

That being said, I'm about out of my current stock of WalMart-style Spring Valley Fish oil tablets. I'm a student with a limited budget like everyone else, but before I buy again I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. Because the Spring Valley tablets are so cheap, I'm debating their quality.

I was wondering if any/all of you had any experience on the best value fish oil pill product out there?

Thanks!

- Jesse

SocraticMethod is offline Junior Member

I use Kirklands (the Costco brand). I saw a report, I'll see if I can find it to post, that had Kirklands listed as the cheapest fish pil pill per mg of O3.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I used to buy fish oil pills from The Zone (Dr. Sears) but they were a bit expensive. I now buy them from Mark's site and they are on autoship monthly. They are less expensive than the Zone's and I think they actually contain more oil (shhhh, don't tell Mark).

Del Mar Mel Guest

I'm sure Mark's product is very good. Two other solid brands are Carlssons and Nordic Naturals. The Carlssons brand is available at most health food stores and usually is packaged with an additional travel sized bottle for no additional charge.

If you want to get the most for your money, I would recommend buying a good brand and taking half the recommended dosage while also adding a tbsp of flax seed to a smoothie per day or a tbsp of flax seed meal to one of your other meals. The flax seed has to be ground or it will pass thru your system but the blender will do it for you. That would be the cheaper way to get some high quality Omega 3's in.

tango68 is offline Junior Member

I too was on the quest for the best fish oil supplement. I was taking the Kirkland brand and saw the same "quality" fish oil at Sams Club for about $10 bucks.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I switched to Health First's "Omega First" after checking out the International Fish Oil Standards website.

On another note, check out the Dr Sears lectures on Crossfit regarding fish oil supplementation.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I also take Kirkland, it's all I can affort right now! I figure some fish oil is better than no fish oil!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

nina_70 Guest

If you're close to a Trader Joe's they have a very decent fish oil (molecularly distilled) at a very decent price. I've tried testing it against other more expensive fish oils (freezer test, plus smell) and it stacks up quite well.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

I use Carlson brand cod liver oil capsules. I'm about finished with my bottle and will be ordering more on Amazon. It's $12.61 (plus $0.95 shipping) for 250 softgels. So that's about 5 cents per softgel, which I think is not bad at all. And Carlson is definitely a quality brand when it comes to fish oil.

Here's a link to the product page on Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/yfhkfm8

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Geoff is offline Member

Why not try liquid cod liver oil? (I take TwinLab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, but you might be able to find a cheaper product.) The 03 content seems about the same as for fish oil caps, but my liquid cod liver oil has more vitamin A and vitamin D than the caps, and the serving size is just 1 teaspoon. If you're "hardcore" you can take it au naturel. Me? I get it with mint flavoring

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I had a look at the Kirkland capsules last time I was in Costco...noticed that soy was included in the ingredients. I coudn't tell how much, though. Anybody know more about that?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast