Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acne page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Acne

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has your acne improved or worsened thanks to dietary changes?

I've had acne on my face, neck, chest, shoulders and back since early teens, and I'm now in my thirties so I am a bit fed up ... It's never been really bad, but acne is never fun is it ... It just makes me feel ugly.
    I've tried giving up various things like dairy, sugar/fructose, eggs, nuts and nightshades but haven't seen any major changes. Maybe I didn't do it properly, or maybe not for long enough ... Who knows!

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Maybe I should add that I'm not using any lotions and things. I only use water, apple cider vinegar and bicarbonate of soda on my skin. That has improved things a little, my skin doesn't get dry and irritated anymore, but I still get some spots.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    yes, my acne has reduced slowly through dietary changes.

also recently i started applying coconut oil on the worst areas of my skin at night just before i go to bed. this has helped incredibly.

the first time i did apply coconut oil it made me break out really. this scared me off from trying CO again on my skin but i recently took the plunge again and it worked really well

Stephanie A. is offline Member
    My acne has improved with primal eating, but it is not gone. If I eat any grains, I break out. If I eat too much dark chocolate, I break out. I also still have hormonally timed break-outs. Nothing has helped with that (other than birth control pills that I took for a year some 25 years ago).

Swintah is offline Junior Member
    I used to have terrible acne, but now I am almost acne free. I control it with diet, medicine, and the judicious use of skin care products.

How I control my acne:

1) No wheat, chocolate, or garlic. Ever. (these trigger cycstic acne on my face, scalp, and back)
    2) When it's "that time of month", my hormones will make me incredibly sensitive to wheat, chocolate and garlic and blood sugar swings. For example, I'm currently healing from last month where two spots were triggered by flour used as thickener for a white sauce. I probably ate less than a tsp of flour. That's how sensitive I am.
    3) I use sulfate-free hair "shampoo". The sulfates in normal shampoos would dry my face, which made it more prone to irritation and break-outs.
    4) I don't allow the toothpaste I use to touch my skin outside of my mouth, beyond my lips. I found that it irritated my chin, which would then be more prone to breakouts.
    5) I use special cleanser and moisturiser (non-comedogenic) that I order from acne.org. There are no fragrances or other irritants (to me) in it. It's the only skin-care product I allow to touch my face on a daily basis. (aside from Badger Balm used as night eye cream.
    6) I don't wear make-up, which irritates my skin and clogs my pores.
    7) I use the following medicine on spots that come up: acne.org Treatment for smaller spots (~4.5% benzyl peroxide, I think), and Zapzyt for the nasty ones (~10% benzyl peroxide). I have found salisylic acid based treatments completely ineffective and irritating to the skin. If it's "time of month" then I will treat the most breakout prone areas of my face with acne.org Treatment in a thin film, pre-emptively.
    8) I change my pillowcase nightly to a fresh clean case.
    9) I sleep with a blindfold (which is why I deep moisturise my eyes at night.), and I use a fresh one every night.
    10) I have Back-ne, too. I treat it similarly to facial acne and sleep in a fresh white t-shirt every night.
    11) I wash my face in the morning and evening, gently, and then lightly moisturise.
    12) I've also gotten older, which has helped with acne in my family.

Good luck. Acne's awful to fight.

Swintah

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    My skin is about ten times better after a month and a half of primal, both acne-wise and evenness of complexion. I still get a tiny bit around that time of the month, but even that's improved in severity.

Thanks for you input guys.

I have been thinking about going really strict for at least a month and see if that improves things. But there are far too many temptations around and I haven't been able to try it yet. One day ...
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

dado Guest
    don't ever feel ugly, no one needs to feel this

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    don't ever feel ugly, no one needs to feel this
    Easier said than done I'm afraid ... But I've found some information about dairy and how it may cause acne, hence this thread, and I'm going to try and give up on dairy completely. I hope that will improve things.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Poopers is offline Member
    I generally have at least a spot or two on my face ( but not much more ). I think MOST of my problem is related to shaving and for the life of me cant figure out what exactly the trigger is. I have tried the best razors and shaving creams, I have less trouble when using better brands but I think my only cure is to grow a caveman beard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast