Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this right, shoulder and trapezious soreness day after kettlebell swings page

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member

is this right, shoulder and trapezious soreness day after kettlebell swings

Shop Now
    the title kind of says it all. I just got some kettlebells about a week ago and sort of practiced a few exercises, yesterday for the first time i did a two handed swing workout. It wasnt a lot as I am fairly deconditioned and havent done much of a workout in a while. but today i was amazed at the muscle soreness in my traps and deltoids. and a litle in my low back muscles. and not to speak of in my legs or glutes. Its not the bad pain soreness, just the soreness associated with having worked muscles that are not used to being worked. I am concerened I am using to much upper body in moving the kettlebell and not enough lower body. Could it be due to my form? or could it sjust be that fact that i havent worked my upper body in a while and keep some simblance of conditioning in my lower body through walking so i didnt experience soreness in my legs?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like normal soreness from starting new workout.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

bteam is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like you may be using too much upper body. The arms are only to guide the kettlebell in a J type of arc, the legs produce all the power. Start light and get your technique down.

Qwerty is offline Junior Member
    It's true that the arms are only a guide -- you can think of them like the chains on a wrecking ball -- but it's not the legs that provide the power in a kettlebell swing, it's your butt. It's all in the butt. Most people have sore quads when they start swinging kettlebells but that's only because they have poor form at first. It sounds like you've probably got the right idea with form if it's your shoulders that are sore. Keep your back straight and use that butt to get the bell up.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    i agree that you shouldn't have a lot of soreness in your arms/traps. it should be right around where you get sore from lunges when you're doing swings.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to starting KB's! They will kick your ass for several weeks even if you have good form. The dynamic nature of the KB's can cause some very good soreness and you are getting it in the right places. Keep it up but let the body heal and give yourself a couple of days between these workouts. Really just the basic swing should be what you should concentrate on as that is the basis for most of the dynamic KB moves.

Stretch out the body! Yes it sucks and no one likes to do it but.....just stretch. If you can afford it get a massage, that always helps me in a big way. Hell I will kick my ass extra hard just to get sore as hell knowing that a massage is coming to help me out.

Keep up the work and don't get discouraged......in a couple of weeks you will be amazed with your strength and cardio gains!

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Everyone is correct here with the arms...swings should not make them sore. But traps, shoulders, back, gluts, all of those other things are going to be sore. As long as you keep a strait back and use your hips as the fulcrum of the lever that is your KB swing your lower back should be fine. If it is weak it will get stronger. Look up Dan John in tnation.com on the KB swing....great article and some good to learn things to know how you should be using your body.

Once you start getting into cleans and snatches your arms will get a workout if you are a "pull" type of person like me....but you are not there yet.

The main thing in a swing is the hips and hip drive. It is harder for me to really use it on lighter weights but you should almost exaggerate it.....many how too videos on youtube on the KB swing.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    arms were not sore at all, major soreness ended up being in my shoulders, which i have always considered a weak link endurance wise. I mus tsay I do not think I have ever had a deeper long lasting soreness in my shoulders than from the swings. trap soreness is all gone, just have a wee bit left in right shoulder. but i had no soreness in the glutes or legs.

rspacher is online now Member
    welcome to kettle bells...
    I was a gym rat for years...lifted 3 times a week...then did some cardio for 15mins after...
    First time I did a kettle bell workout...i knew i was going to be sore the next day...boy was I ever...
    Don't worry its muscles getting used in a fashion they are not used to...
    give yourself a couple of days between workouts, it will get better...

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Traps maybe but shoulder soreness there indicates you're lifting the kettlebell upwards rather than using your hips to drive the kb up. Did a 45 min 1000 swing session yesterday with my 24 kg kb and feel a little tender in my forearms, lats, lower back and hip but nothing higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast