Thread: Low Cost protein ideas page

Cletc is offline Member

Low Cost protein ideas

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    aa
    Last edited by Cletc; 04-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Eggs, canned tuna, ground beef (80/20), chicken thighs.

If things are tight, you don't have to go for grass fed beef, pastured pork, etc. That is the ideal, but it's not totally necessary. Just try to get the finances in order (prioritize the diet) when you can and do the best until then. That's what I did.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post

If things are tight, you don't have to go for grass fed beef, pastured pork, etc. That is the ideal, but it's not totally necessary. Just try to get the finances in order (prioritize the diet) when you can and do the best until then. That's what I did.
    Definitely this. Also chicken livers are $1.99/container.
    Georgette

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member

+1 look for these on sale, too, though it's rare. Found eggs for $.50/doz the other day...bought 10 dozen.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletc View Post
    What are some good ideas for PRIMAL protein and other food choices when the budget is really lean?
    Less protein, more fat? Organ meats?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Look for primal foods on sale and do tweaks when they aren't. For example, my preference is for canned sockeye salmon, but it's 1.99 for a small can. Our grocery had the double-sized can of pink salmon for the same price, so I bought a dozen of those.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Grow your own. tickets, meal worms and Garden snails are easy to grow and cook, and highly nutritional.... If you can get past the yuckiness factor :-D

I saw a programme a couple of weeks a go about a guy who was making a bomb "farming" common Garden snails for the escargot market, not a lot too it

tfarny is offline Senior Member

That's pretty much the business, right there.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Organ meats, canned sardines/tuna/salmon, eggs, ground beef....

Misabi - I'd be leery of eating garden snails. Snails and slugs are intermediate hosts for approximately a bajillion parasites.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Check out local vegetable stands for the best value on spinach, kale, collard greens and zucchini, things like that. Best to find pesticide-free, but you've got to start somewhere. Grocery Outlet also has lots of produce like avocadoes, melons and green apples in good condition for less than the other grocery stores.

Grass fed meat shops often have a bargain bin. Also, ask them about bones for the marrow. Once you try it, you'll want to live on it.

Grocery Outlet near me has huge frozen sides of skin-on wild salmon for 4.00! Then you've got shellfish by the frozen bagload.