Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New study - it's all about snacking page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

New study - it's all about snacking

Shop Now
    Energy Density, Portion Size, and Eating Occasions: Contributions to Increased Energy Intake in the United States, 1977–2006

The main conclusion of this study is that we are getting fatter because we snack more often.

Most of us would agree that "grazing" isn't the way to go but . . . .

The implication seems to be that we need to be careful to avoid temptations to snack. Why do we snack so much? Not really covered. Could it be because we are pushed to eat lots of grain carbs and because everything we eat is loaded with HFCS? Hmmm.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 07-01-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Easy to dismiss the weight of their arguments:
    The more out of whack that your insulin regulation is, the more your body will need constant input of energy to avoid the highs and lows associated with hypo/hyperglycemia. Once you get to this prediabetic/diabetic state then you're already well addicted to full on snacking. Because the study did not differentiate between high insulinogenic snacks and low carb snacks there's no way to say if this had any effect.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoAlex View Post
    Easy to dismiss the weight of their arguments:
    The more out of whack that your insulin regulation is, the more your body will need constant input of energy to avoid the highs and lows associated with hypo/hyperglycemia. Once you get to this prediabetic/diabetic state then you're already well addicted to full on snacking. Because the study did not differentiate between high insulinogenic snacks and low carb snacks there's no way to say if this had any effect.
    This is what I was thinking when I saw it. When I was high carb and hypoglycemic I had to snack. Snacked because I was fat or fat because I snacked? The two go together.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I think we also have a huge snack industry that has worked hard over the years to make snacking seem normal. If I may wave my cane for a moment, when I was a kid we were told that snacking between meals was bad for you. Now parents of small children won't leave the house for a few hours unless armed with a bag of snacks. Kids are used to grazing all day. They get a little fidgety and their parents throw some Cheerios at them. And, as folks are saying, most people snack on carby stuff.

I think boredom and stress drive a lot of eating. Plus the food chemists have really honed in on what fuels cravings. Add to that CW pushing the 6 small meals instead of 2 or 3 substantial ones and we have a bit of a perfect storm. Snacking is normal. Insulin is always up. The next blood sugar crash is right around the corner. And there's easy access pretty much anywhere you are to all sorts of snacks that don't fill you up and make you crave more. Add the bonus fun of inflammation caused by these industrial foods and its really no surprise that people are a mess.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    man! +1 on everything you said, including the "waving your cane" part!

Sorry for screwing up the link. It works now.

Unfortunately, the cw types won't draw the right conclusions from the study. They'll say it proves calories in, calories out and tell us to have three almonds for a snack.

I am reminded of this ex-vegan's story about how she ate and ate and ate but was still literally starving to death.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    It's not just the when and how much, but the what that also makes a difference. Good post!
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't disagree, in a way, but the constant snacking is part of what is driving chronically elevated insulin, etc. - it's a classic chicken or egg. The point is, don't snack, and the answer to "but I get cravings" is "go PB and you won't anymore". We all know this. No snacking is an important rule for me. It's now 6 pm and I've eaten exactly once today, and will again in a couple of hours.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I don't disagree, in a way, but the constant snacking is part of what is driving chronically elevated insulin, etc. - it's a classic chicken or egg. The point is, don't snack, and the answer to "but I get cravings" is "go PB and you won't anymore". We all know this. No snacking is an important rule for me. It's now 6 pm and I've eaten exactly once today, and will again in a couple of hours.
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    My snacking urge has gone to 0 since I've been on PB (1.5 months)
    It's AWESOME!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast