Thread: Joint/Muscle pain page

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member

Joint/Muscle pain

Shop Now
    I was vegetarian for 10 years before going Primal. I exercised pretty hard core and kept calories to around 1200 a day and never lost weight. I went Primal in February and I've dropped 33 pounds so far and feel better in many ways.
    The one lingering problem I have is muscle/joint pain. When I wake up or if I've been sitting for a while, I am really stiff and have to ease into motion and it makes me feel like I'm 80 years old. My legs are really weak despite years of walking/hiking and working out.
    Anyone have experience with this or know what could cause it or how to help?
    I supplement with magnesium, potassium and liquid vitamin D.

Laguna is offline Member
    This is going to be an "out there" question, but are you or have you been on a statin drug? This has nothing to do with primal, but those disclaimers in the commercials for these drugs is there for a reason. I know of two people who took statins and it triggered a "rare but serious" autoimmune disease called polymiositis that basically destroyed (over time) the muscle mass in their legs and arms.

One of them is my father. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Hope I'm way off base with you!
    6f4i, 40 years old, 85" wingspan, "big build"

Feb 28 2011: 326 lbs (start date)
    Mar 28 2011: 299 lbs
    Apr 30 2011: 285 lbs
    May 31 2011: 274 lbs
    Jun 30 2011: 262 lbs
    Jul 31 2011: 252 lbs
    Sep 30 2011: 241 lbs
    Nov 30 2011: 238 lbs

Goal: 220 lbs

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Are you drinking enough water? Also, maybe you should check if its not osteoarthritis, check your bone mass?

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem. (I'm 51). Been to dcotrs and nobody knows why. My back is particularly weak and stiff. Excersize helps a bit but canmake me feel pretty beat up. I'mgoing to try TFX at my Crossfit box next week to see if tht helps.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Age is a factor, as is getting enough fats, but if you are under forty I would be looking in to it more seriously. In my sixties I expect a bit of stiffness after sitting too long at the computer, etc. Do you stretch after exercise?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like the stiffness and pain after sitting go away once you get moving again. Is that right?

If that's true, is it possible you're adding new muscle tone?

When I started my job, which is very physical, I would get really stiff and have to walk around a bit to make the stiffness go away, If I remember correctly, that lasted for months. I think most of that was because I was building up muscle, which would be a good thing. Maybe being vegetarian before didn't allow for the amount of protein you have in your diet now, and so the muscles are doing even more rebuilding than before.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback all. I'm not on any statins or any drugs at all and I drink a lot of water. It went away for a few days when the weather was warm and then came back right when the weather changed. I'm going to see if that was just a fluke or if weather does play a part. I'm not 40 yet.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    its possible youre body is still affected from all the crap conventional foods..i know before i switched to primal my biggest training issues were that no matter what i did i had extreme shoulder wrist hand and knee pain quite constantly and i was sore and stiff all over...almost a year after eliminating everything(mostly) has caused it all to go but anytime i cheat the pain comes RIGHT BACK! so check what ur eating just because its primal even doesnt mean its good for u ur body might be badly reacting to something and then ur protein/calcium etcc.. nutrients u need for proper healing might not be getting where you need them..besides that your body just needs time good luck!