Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I gain weight but make it muscle and not fat? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

How do I gain weight but make it muscle and not fat?

Primal Fuel
    Here's the skinny (haha).....I believe that I have become too thin for various functions my body needs. I'm not that skinny....around 125lbs (5'3) and bodyfat around 22% according to my scale. However, when I was heavier (over 130lbs), it seemed that my body ran like clockwork. Now I'm looking to have children and that is not the case anymore. I never want to be fat again, but I came to the conclusion that if I have to gain weight that was what was going to happen. I'm wondering if there's a better way, and I think you all can help me with that.

Muscle weighs more than fat yes? So is it possible with me eating Paleo if I added muscle building techniques and minimal cardio that I could gain muscle and not fat, but still gain weight if that makes sense? I know guys do it all the time, but what about ladies?

I figure my goal is to hit around 135 to 140lbs but look similar to how I am at 125lbs, so I can still wear all these new clothes I just bought three months ago lol (at least until I get pregnant *crosses fingers*)

Thanks for the help everyone!

tommyho1 is offline Member
    the easy answer is "yes" of course you can gain muscle. anybody can gain muscle without gaining fat. just eat the right type and amount of food and do the right kind of exercise and of course you can reach your goals.

if your question is then "well what is the right type of food and right exercise?" then i guess that is what this whole website and forum is all about so it cant be answered too easily. keep reading and making sensible decisions based on your requirements and be fully motivated and you can certainly reach any goals that you set.

bery is offline Junior Member
    Gaining weight requires proper nutrition and balanced diet which will provide sufficient nutrition to our body.This is usually suggested to eat healthy diet like boil food and green items which will add to your weight avoiding fat secretion in your body.This is a perfect method through which you can become healthy but not fat.And one most important thing is to avoid unhealthy and fast food items in your daily routine.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Lean Gains.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    It's simple. Eat more and do weight or bodyweight training.

Forget "magical" programs.

Eat more. Lift (or do bodyweight stuff).

You could diet down on junk - or not so optimal food. Remember the Twinkies guy who lost weight, or the potato diet guy? It's all calories in and calories out, but still I recommend you eat reasonably sensibly, although, since you are gaining weight, you don't need to be too obsessed with "should I eat this or not" type of thing.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    "Anybody can gain muscle without gaining fat". You make it sound so easy which I dont think it is. Have to have a good muscle building programme so excess calories are used to build muscle and not fatten up.
    Last edited by Sue; 07-01-2011 at 06:20 AM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I second NDFs suggestion of Leangains. A year ago I would have (and did) say that if you're already pretty lean and well muscled that gaining more muscle while not gaining any fat was impossible. Now I know that it's not impossible, it just takes some techniques (which Leangains outlines). If you are new to weight training, you can add a few pounds of muscle pretty easily. Just lift heavy and eat most of your carbs and calories post-workout. Good luck!

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Focusing on eating protein and fat will help promote lean muscle growth and reduce adipose tissue. Eating a diet high in (healthy) fats can also help fertility. It's like, a win-win proposition for you. I wouldn't worry about making up some number in your head though that you think you should weigh. Your body will weigh what is natural for it when you take care of it.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    carb cycle + leangains = win

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Weighted squats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast