Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calorie Restriction and the PB page

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I was reading through a chapter at the end of The Primal Blueprint last night and came upon a passage where Mark talks about "the science of weight loss" and mentions calorie restriction of 500-1000 calories less than you would normally eat. I felt as if I either had gotten the PB all wrong or that I just misunderstood the passage. Even after reading it over a few times, I still don't fully understand what he was getting at.

I suppose I was under the impression that calories didn't matter so much as long as one was eating a high fat, low carb, medium protein diet to satiety. But what if satiety is still too much in terms of calories?

Is the primal weight loss formula calorie restriction + PB + IF?

chima_p is offline Senior Member

The key to health is PB.

The key to weight loss is calorie restriction.

The key to healthy weight loss is PB + calorie restriction.

The key to accelerated healthy weight loss is PB + CR + IF.

Kebekgirl Guest

Wow - totally awesome! Short and to the point - you've summed it up so easily for those like me who tend to overthink everything... Much thanks!

Hmm, maybe this is all it takes. I had lost 25 lbs initially but I've been at a plateau lately where I'll lose 5 lbs then gain it back, then lose it, then gain it back, for about 3 weeks now. I think it's water weight because I haven't noticed any significant different in body composition besides maybe more muscle.

Maybe I just need to eat less and restrict calories. I already IF every day and I most definitely adhere to the PB, so then should I stop eating BEFORE I feel satisfied?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I'd modify Chima-p's second statement to:

The key to sustainable weight loss is a healthy metabolism and calorie restriction.

It's important to add that calorie restriction is not needed in the PB in the sense that it is not necessary to measure portions and struggle with hunger. The body naturally and effortlessly regulates hunger and satiety levels to promote a below-maintenance caloric intake in an effort to gravitate towards a more efficient metabolic state and a better body composition.

Calorie restriction while in the SAD for someone overweight, with insulin resistance, low metabolic rate and chronic hunger simply does not work.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Oh yes. I work out most every day with a kettlebell. I also do dumbbells and body weight stuff. I guess I'm just not losing weight at the rate I expected to.

No, they're generally 15 - 20 minutes long but they're quite intense. I'm left panting quite heavily. I don't do any sprints or anything like that because I don't really have the means. When I move back to school I'll have lots of bikes, treadmills, and a few nice tracks at my disposal. Nevermind a great weight gym.

I don't really eat that much. I mean, so far this week my dinners have looked like this:

Monday: two ~6oz steaks and some veggies, a few ounces of cheese after dinner

Tuesday: same thing as monday except a bit less steak

Wednesday: a 5 egg omelet with steak and some veggies, a can of tuna after because I was still hungry

Tonight will probably be fish and veggies.

I know Wednesday sounds like a lot but man I was hungry, haha.

I guess I'll just have to eat less. I don't know.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Nah your workouts are good. Don't worry about "cardio".

If they were longer I was going to say you were not working out with enough effort.

My only other suggestion would be to track a weeks worth of meals on fitday. You may be suprised at how much you are eating and where the cals are coming from.

Also check out Drew Baye's site or LeanGains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast