Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When carbs fight back... page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Recently, I've not been so strict on my carb intake.

When I first started eating primally, I replaced my toast/cereal breakfast with fruit. But then I found that all that sugar was giving me stupid sugar highs and lows, then leaving me hungry, very quickly. So fruit is now a treat, which is fine. I then became very vigilant on the carbs, aiming for well below 50g a day, to help with the weight loss.

Now, I'm at the stage where weight loss isn't such an issue - if it happens, fine, if not then I like where I am (I never thought I'd say that). And so I've been less vigilant on the carbs and am eating between 50g and 100g a day at the moment.

Well, this has bitten me on the bum, because I have been really, properly hungry all morning! I'd noticed it creeping in over the last few days, but wasn't sure if I was right or not, as I've been a bit screwed up over the medication withdrawal (next week to go, and I'll be free!). But no, it's consistent - I am hungry again today, and I really shouldn't be.

So, back to where I started. Keep the carbs very low, up the fat and protein and keep to that plan. It's weird, because I seem to have dumped a load of weight in the past few days anyway, which is fine. I just don't like feeling hungry again, because I didn't before!

Very interesting, to notice how the body behaves.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Are you working a graveyard shift? If not, and you just woke up like most of us, then you should be hungry in the morning. The only time I'm not hungry in the morning is if I ate too much for dinner the day before.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

When I'm pretty much Carnivore I'm rarely hungry in the morning. It makes IFing really easy.

No, I work daylight hours. I guess what I was trying to say was that I was experiencing the kind of hunger pangs that I used to get before going primal. I've IFd a few times and that's been really easy (missing breakfast, and also a couple of 24 hour fasts), but this 'hunger' is the one that takes over and makes you crazy! Or me crazy, anyway!

@DR - I really admire your carnivore approach - but it's not something I could do myself! Instinctively I know that vegetables don't really cut it for me as far as satiety is concerned, but I still like to have them.

Just had avocado, tuna, lettuce and a lovely dressing for lunch. That should keep me going until dinner!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

I really doubt that 200 calories worth of carbs throughout the day is the reason for your hunger issues.

Did you replace protein for carbs?

Have you changed eating patterns?

Was your highest carb meal your last meal?

When did you start eliminating your breakfast?

g2baker is offline Member

Wow PrimalIK - you hit the mark for me with this post. I'm feeling the exact same way. It's been driving me nuts. I just came off that 21 hr IF and have stayed in ketosis for 5 days now. No carbs - except for the trace amount in spinach. The only thing I can think of that might make me feel this way was I had a large can of diet (Splenda) iced tea. I had it in the afternoon, then all day yesterday I've been STARVING. So I don't know what's up with that. I don't understand all the nuances that go along with the diet. Have you been drinking any diet drinks?

Paneristi is offline Member

eat more fat

I didn't go into detail about how much fat I was eating only because it's not the factor in this situation. Eat more fat seems to be such a blanket statement that is not always true - at least that's what I'm finding.

*B:4 eggs for breakfast

*B:1/3 half and half latte

*Lork loin 4 oz fried up in butter (lots of it) it was so good, and I was still hungry so I had another 4 oz. again fried up in butter.

*L:tomato soup with another 1/3 cup half and half and 2 TBSP butter

* D: Huge rib eye steak again fried up in butter, spinach and artichoke heart topped with yes butter again.

I normally use coconut oil - I was just on a butter kick yesterday.

Like I said I don't understand the nuances of this diet.

Also, when I start eating this much fat I start to gain weight, which defeats the purpose. But I'm so hungry I want to go eat 10 eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast