Thread: "Natural Flavors" in BUTTER?? page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

"Natural Flavors" in BUTTER??

Primal Fuel
    I am so disappointed. Almost every store brand of unsalted butter has "natural flavors" listed is an ingredient. Isn't that almost always code for MSG? I have noticed that when I buy the kinds with natural flavors, they do have a bit of a weird aftertaste if I am thinking about it. Any thoughts on this?

I did some searching, there is an article about it
    Natural Flavorings In Butter? | Comfy Tummy

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 kinds in my fridge - KerryGold and Kroger (Smith's) brand.

The KerryGold is just plain cream, so if you can get that, it's all good. I get mine at Trader Joe's, but I've read about people getting it elsewhere - maybe Costco?

Yeah, the Kroger brand has "natural flavoring", and it's your best guess what that might be.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    My Costco doesn't have it Wish they did! I generally make Ghee out of my butter, so the kerrygold would get expensive fast. I need to look into the online ghee sources I've seen here...

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    As someone pointed out in another thread, natural flavors can also include sugar. I have stayed with Organic Valley butter, but now that I have found out about Kerrygold, will switch to that. Or to Icelandic Smjor (sp?), which also appeared on another thread and sounds heavenly. No way I will ever again buy butter with "natural flavors". btw, I understand that Smjor is available in the US only through Whole Foods Market. Kerrygold has a website with a stor locator, through which I found a local outlet here: Welcome to kerrygold
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I avoid store brand butters on water content alone. Kerrygold, OG Valley, Horizon, Plugra, President - are all good butters and readily available at most regular and high end grocery retailers. Meyenberg makes a goat milk butter that is mild and grassy and easily digestible (for folks with cow milk issues), containing about 35% MCT. Sheep butter is harder to find and (to my taste, anyway) tends to have a weird nutty flavor in the background.

It's funny, I find the longer I'm primal the less butter I actually use, and in turn the more willing I am to pay a little extra for a good imported butter with ingredients that all came out of an actual animal.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Costco carries ghee as well, or it did a few months back. I didn't see it this last time but didn't look..