Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frying vs Steaming - Is it really a big deal? page

God
    God is online now Senior Member

Frying vs Steaming - Is it really a big deal?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So conventional wisdom says you should steam your veges and not fry them, as frying destroys the nutritional value.

And that makes sense in a way cause frying is much higher heat than steaming.

But... fried stuff tastes so much better, and lets you get more fat into it via oils (fat is good).

I mean I guess you could douse the steamed veges with olive oil or something, but again, the issue is taste. If food doesn't taste good it kills the motivation to eat it.

What are your thoughts on this?

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Meh, do what you feel. If I'm not eating veggies raw I always fry or roast them because a) I don't have a steamer and b) I like the fat cooked into the veggies instead of having them just sitting around in it after being cooked. When you're WOE provides as many nutrients as primal does, you don't need to worry about how to maximize your nutrition from every little serving IMO.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 06-30-2011 at 04:50 PM.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I do both. For instance last night we had broccoli and cabbage steamed, so I then doused them in EVOO, lemon juice and a bit of salt. I also like them roasted if there is time and today I will be having some fried with a couple of eggs thrown in.

Kasey is offline Member
    It's all about the temperature. Simmering in water is generally considered safe because the temperatures only reach up to 212 degrees, and the well known carcinogens like acrylamides and PAH's don't start forming until 250 degrees for carbs, and 310 for protein. I scrambled some duck eggs on pretty low heat (4 then down to 3 on an electric stove) in olive oil and the temperature only got up to 151. Less damaging than hard boiled although there's some extra oxidation from exposing the yolk to heat and air by stirring.

There is definitely safe ways to fry with lower temps and still get great taste. It's not the act of frying itself that is bad but the fact that people often turn the heat up so high to create that explosive sizzling that you just know in your heart is going to straight up end your life but that caramelized flavour is worth it to some people ; )

Digby is offline Senior Member
    God, I've got a few bones to pick with you!

But, steam vs fry, not a big deal in the PB world, just don't overcook.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    steaming and boiling makes for easier digestion. grilling/frying leaves me with indigestion and burps

Raen is offline Member
    Oh, dear. I didn't know this was a thing. I stir-fry veggies all the time. I'm going to have to see some good scientific evidence before I give that up.

Suldog is offline Junior Member
    What about roasting? I can't live without roasted veggies, but I typically have the oven at 400 - am I making my veggies carcinogenic? Roasted veggies are SO GOOD.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I deep fry in pastured pig lard that I render myself. YUM.

Kasey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suldog View Post
    What about roasting? I can't live without roasted veggies, but I typically have the oven at 400 - am I making my veggies carcinogenic? Roasted veggies are SO GOOD.
    Roasted veggies at 250 are even more delicious, they just take longer ; )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast